Exhaust Pipe Dents

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
bevelheaded
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Exhaust Pipe Dents

Post by bevelheaded »

Hi does anyone have tips for removing small dents from Conti's...apprx thumb nail size?

Thx :)
geodoc
750 GT

Re: Exhaust Pipe Dents

Post by geodoc »

I would recon that stripping the chrome, brazing to fill the dents and then blend, smooth & polish then re-plate. It would be worth inquiring with the plating shop whether conventional brass rod or perhaps silver solder or maybe something else would have the beast adherence for the copper base coat in the plating process.

Also, shop around and get the reputation for the plating shop before you hand it off to them, all plating shops are not created equal (I found out this the hard way).

GD
bevelheaded wrote:Hi does anyone have tips for removing small dents from Conti's...apprx thumb nail size?

Thx :)
Spagjet
Mach 3

Post by Spagjet »

Hi,
I have gotten lots of dings and dents out of pipes and mufflers over the years, I generally braze a small nut to it, run a plug tap down it to clear any braze and use a small slide hammer to ease the ding out with a bit of heat from a torch with a small welding tip licking at it at the same time around the edge od the ding where the stress risers are. Once you've got it out you just grind the nut off and grind and file/sand the pipe back to smooth. Works really well but is a bit fiddly but at least there is no (or minimal) obstruction inside the exhaust if you do it that way. You have to be careful, if your Contis are rusty inside it's all too easy to poke holes in it even with a bit of heat but you'll find that out anyway if you just try and fill the depression with braze. I have fixed some pretty serious damage doing this, it's amazing what you can fix. A mate crashed his souped up MHR so bad it broke into peices, his pipes were flat and folded, he was dead broke so fixed them with dollies, slide hammers, and heat. Took him a long time but he did it. He sold the bike to another mate years later who spent megabucks including new ss pipes, he gave me the old pipes that were repaired, they will be going on my souped up GT/SSD they were repaired that well. You can see they have been repaired but there is no obstructions inside the pipes. Anyway, hope that helps,
cheers,
Brett
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

+1 to fill and re-chrome for small dings, Paddy. Just be careful who you get to do the re-chroming. The Conti logo is often very faintly stamped and an over-enthusiastic polisher will quickly damage/remove it :shock: .

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”