860GT Oil Filter Post Thread Repair

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860GT Oil Filter Post Thread Repair

Post by animosity »

Fellow Bevelista,

I've recently changed the oil filter on my 860GT and noticed that the filter post threads within the filter housing have essentially stripped. #$%#!!!

I've previously used helicoils to repair stripped threads in aluminium, but they are not going to work in this application. I'm after some suggestions for how to tackle a repair in this area without requiring engine disassembly or welding/machining. I've looked at going with an epoxy thread repair using a product such as Loctite's metal repair putty or similar epoxy thread repair kits but am concerned that these will not hold or could break up and send putty bits through the engine.

Has anyone ever repaired these threads or can offer some good advice?

Thanks.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 860GT Oil Filter Post Thread Repair

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 860GT Oil Filter Post Thread Repair

Post by animosity »

Thanks Steve, but this part isn't the problem - it's the threads in the case that it screws into that are stripped. I might have a lead in getting the area helicoiled after all through Ron Young.

Cheers.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”