Help, motor lost compression

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
900gts
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Help, motor lost compression

Post by 900gts »

I have a 900GTS which let go while out for a ride yesterday.
Basically it went to running on one cylinder and smoked out the tailpipe. I pulled over quickly and eventually got the bike trailered home. Before I do anything I was looking for help as to how far to start stripping it apart to find the issue.
The current situation is that I can crank it over with the kickstart by hand which indicates that there is very little compression. I was going to pull the valve covers off and start at the top end but after that I am not sure how to proceed. While turning the motor over by hand there are no obvious nasty mechanical sounds.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
machten
MHR / S2

Re: Help, motor lost compression

Post by machten »

In the absence of any other information, I'd certainly start at the top end and check the valve train first. You should first determine which cylinder has lost compression. You can do that by removing the spark plugs and holding your thumb over the the plug hole whilst you tun the engine over. Then take the rocker covers off the offending cylinder and have a looksee.

Kev

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”