GTS primary case "O" ring

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

GTS primary case "O" ring

Post by bobnorton »

The parts list shows an "o" ring in the bottom of the primary outer case behind the gasket. There does not appear to be one on my bike ,what is its function ? is it important . Is it a backup to the gasket?.I also appear to be missing the large washer behind the outer case bearing, Ive been told that this will affect the oil supply to the big end , I thought the B/E supply was on the pump side?, the drawings lie??.
Last edited by bobnorton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Re: GTS primary case "O" ring

Post by ducadini »

If it's in the lefthandside cover, that will be the oilfeed to the crankshaft.
The o-ring works better under pressure and is best fitted.
cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Thanks mate, Looks like i'm in for a long haul,( again). I may be able to replace the missing washer with a shielded bearing.The big end is surely suspect now.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Better have a look at the bearing in the clutchcover first.
Someone could've fitted a RS or Z type bearing (closed for oil or dust) and gotten rid of the washer.
Crank oil is via the clutch-side, and as far as I recall, the drawings are correct.

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Ducadini, There is an oil circulation detail on this site and it appears to show the crank oil comming from below the filter ( but after close inspection does not!).The bearing in my clutch cover has no shield and no closing washer. Heaven knows how the B/End has survived, i now doubt it has!!.There are plenty of metalic fragments in the sump.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Nigel Lacey has come up trumps with the parts i need, hope to get it running soon when we will find out what state things are.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”