Exhaust identification needed please (plus some other bits)

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Octarine
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Exhaust identification needed please (plus some other bits)

Post by Octarine »

Hi all. I recently picked up a basket case Vespa that I was going to restore for a customer until he got the estimate and had a minor heart attack!

When I picked up the parts there was an extra box that he said came with it. In the box were a bunch of parts like a Harley carb (I needed a new doorstop so SCORE!), a chain, and some other pieces. I took pics of the most interesting ones here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/octarinefi ... 026054795/

I am having a hard time identifying these parts. I am pretty sure they are original Conti based on the weld on the underside and the spot welded brackets.

Here are the part numbers:
0755 84 100 ducati 0995 84 100
Ducati 0995 84 105 0755 84 100

0769 84 520

0759 84 025

It kinda looks like at gt750 but maybe a later mhr?? I dunno.

Any info on the mirrors? There is some green gunk around the swivel, havent tried to clean them yet. The rubber parts in the gasket set look quite good and pliable, gaskets are so so for the smaller ones, the big ones are a bit brittle.

So, that's it for now. I didnt take a picture of the chain or other greasy bits. Any info regarding model or value would be great. I'm trying to raise some money for a 1979 R100S restoration and let me tell you, ouch.

Thanks again, Mike.

The brackets have a "9" stamped on them.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Exhaust identification needed please (plus some other bi

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Mike

Ok, here we go ...

* 0755 84 100 Ducati 0995 84 100
This is for the right side/front pot, to fit all square cases, 1975 to 1981/1982.

* 0755 84 100 Ducati 0995 84 105.
This is left side/back pot, ditto.

If their condition is ok, these should be worth a bit, even if they don't have the full Conti logo - for a period, some didn't.

* 0759 84 025
This is the front pipe for 1975 860GT fitted with a Lafranconi muffler.

* 0769 84 520.
This is the back pipe for a 1982 MHR fitted with either a Silentium or a Conti muffler.

Btw, the cross-over pipe fits all the twins, round case and square case.

EDIT: Woops :oops: - late at night (or some'ut ...). Round case and square case cross-overs are NOT the same. Dunno where THAT thought crept in from ...

The mirror(s) is an after-market piece. Looks like a Stadium copy, but don't quote me. No real value - the green gunk is copper corrosion where the chrome has leaked (chrome is porous ...) and the manufacturer didn't nickle plate the copper.

The breather tower has a value, btw, especially the plastic bit at the top (they break). The horn and the solid brake pipes less so - unless you find a restorer who wants to go back to original brake pipes, that is ..

HTH.

Craig
Last edited by Craig in France on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octarine
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Octarine »

Merci !

So this was most likely not a complete original unit? Should I sell the pieces separately? I have a bmw project in dire need of funding so this was quite fortuitous.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Octarine wrote:So this was most likely not a complete original unit?
Wouldn't like to say. You see, Ducati wasn't always as consistent at assembly stage as the parts book might like to make out ... :). So:

While the front pipe 0759 84 025 should, in theory, be a 860GT pipe, I wouldn't be amazed if it was in fact fitted to something else (using up existing stock, you know ...). In addition, the story of the rear pipe 0769 84 520 may not be as simple as it first appears. While it's listed for the MHR, I give you this from Joachim Gier, a Ducatisto who 'knows his stuff':

"The 0769.84.520 is a special version of the LH header, running closer to the engine casings. On the earlier SS with 315mm shocks, virtually all headers had some ground contact sooner or later. Ducati sort of fixed the problem with 330mm shocks, 10mm longer forks (590mm instead of 580mm) and new headers. These headers had weird numbers like 520 and 523 - one was supposed to be single-walled and the other one double-walled. In reality, Guido messed up more than once. I have had some NOS 520 headers in 523 referenced packages (!!) ... and they were double-walled."

Ah! The delights of Ducati ownership ... `-* I'm still trying to find out why your cans have got 0995 stamped on 'em ... _?_
Octarine
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Octarine »

DrDesmo lives 15 minutes from me and he says the mufflers are replicas that will fit an 860 or 900. Now Im trying to place a reasonable value on them. They are in very good condition and I will give them a quick polish tomorrow.
Octarine
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Octarine »

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info! The exhaust is in its new home to be part of an 860 Dr. Desmo is building for himself.

I have a few other parts I will list in the classifieds here first before craigslist or ebay. Ive got a clutch hub, cover, and plates, an air breather and some assorted gaskets.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”