Stuck clutch

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Stuck clutch

Post by bobnorton »

Before i strip it down, are there any tricks to free off a stuck clutch, other than the usual brutality.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Stuck clutch

Post by wdietz186 »

Adjust it up tight,put it in gear and rock it. If the oil is thick it will give you a fine aerobic workout. If it runs, sometimes revving it with the lever pulled in will do it too[should be warm though.
If you take off the pressure plate,all the plates should slide out of the basket as a fully stuck mass and then you could soak in some solvent and pry them apart.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Adjust up tight, yes that may give a little bit more freedom.I used to have to unstick the clutch on my old Merc wagon every spring,all brutal stuff,then one year i found that jacking a wheel up and gentle hand rocking the wheel in gear with the clutch depressed worked too.Never did fully understand how.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Nope, nothing is going to plan,clutch still stuck, so its a stripdown, any issues with the starter motor removal?.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Just undo the chain and pull the cover with the motor attached[a bit unwieldy].But you were going to take the starter motor apart anyway right?
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

I was resisting working on the starter as untill i have a proper battery set -up i don't know there is anything wrong with it, i already have a page list of faults to rectify that grows longer each time i look too close!.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Clutch now working ok, fitted with a ball between the center 2 rollers and 2 rollers at the clutch side. If i get the chance will fit the longer 113.5 rods. No thrust washer behind the clutch center ,think this is right for the later motor.Also no washers under the springs.I can pull in the lever with 1 finger---just!!.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Woke up this morning and realised i have commited a basic error,---I used a Haynes manual !!, With brain tired i used the tightening settings from Haynes for the clutch 36ft lbs, ----60 is where it should be, Taking it back down again this morning. Burn those manuals.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

bobnorton wrote:Woke up this morning and realised i have commited a basic error,---I used a Haynes manual !!
:-D .

Sometimes they're better than nothing. And sometimes .... not >:|!!! .

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”