Changing engine lubricant

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
GHamilton
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Changing engine lubricant

Post by GHamilton »

1980 900 SS. Should I put new oil in 'til it shows correctly on the dipstick, or remove the left side cover/plate and put in the amount shown in the manual? Although I've never tried it, I've heard that the amount in the manual cannot be put in through the dipstick hole. Is this correct, and would it shorten engine life if this method is followed.

Gordon
'80 900SS Ducati
5 SR500 Yams
3 MuZ Skorpions
'66 Black Bomber
('66 CRTT) Gone to a good home
'67 Riverside Scrambler
'77 XS650
'74 Vespa Sprint Super
'05 MuZ Baghira
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Changing engine lubricant

Post by wdietz186 »

Fill it to the level on the dipstick. No need to worry about undue wear or poor lubrication due to level,the oil is picked up from the bottom of the sump and pumped into the crank and heads.The oil returning from the heads and the oil squeezing out from the crankpin gets thrown onto the transmission by the spinning crankshaft.With about a gallon of oil in circulation everything is kept happy/oily
GHamilton
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by GHamilton »

Yeah, I figured that enough oil would circulate to keep the motor happy, but if there is MORE oil to circulate around, would that not be a plus and help with cooling also, hence less stress on the engine?

Gordon
'80 900SS Ducati
5 SR500 Yams
3 MuZ Skorpions
'66 Black Bomber
('66 CRTT) Gone to a good home
'67 Riverside Scrambler
'77 XS650
'74 Vespa Sprint Super
'05 MuZ Baghira
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Like wot Bill said, Gordon: Fill to the upper mark on the dipstick.
(It's actually the same as the lip in the sump, btw. So, once you've got the hang of it, you'll find you don't need to keep re-dipping the stick).

You won't get in the full amount 'cos there's always a bit of oil left in the engine after a draining. Take the lower valve cover off the front pot and you'll see what I mean .. :).

More oil won't improve the lubrication of the engine and will just get blown out the breather (or elsewhere). And don't worry about extra cooling capacity. Ign T. made sure his engines have plenty of oil and ample cooling. You only need to add a cooler if you're racing ( ... and then you need to also think about the drain rate back to the sump. But let's not go there ... :| )

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”