Main Bearings onV-Twins

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
900tlc
Mariana

Main Bearings onV-Twins

Post by 900tlc »

Just a query about crankcase main bearings.I read in "Ducati Tuning" by Stephen Eke that main bearings with tufnol/plastic type bearing type cages must be used.
Steel type cages tend to get hot and break up.
I was led to believe steel type cage bearings were O.K. to use. Anyone had experience or knowledge of these bearings? Any answers would be welcome.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Main Bearings onV-Twins

Post by wdietz186 »

The factory bearings had a Phenolic separator as standard,and I've also seen a brass/bronze arrangement on some main bearings.I have used bearing with steel separators in my racer without problems but they were replaced after a season of racing.I would imagine with the use most bevels get these days steel separators would work just fine.
llewdaert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by llewdaert »

Ok so I am up to mains on my rebuild project. I have numbers on my 9removed]bearings as follows
RHP7307x2 TB RR

The bearing shop has
7307X2 in either brass or plastic cage -40 Degree annular-11 balls-[in stock ready to go]

or

They have a listing for
RHP B7307 sold as a pair[ they have no stock and will need to source out]

So is there any wisdom on which bearing to choose??

Thanks
James
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

James.

At the risk of opening a very old can of worms, do some more research !!! "My understanding " is that a 40 Degree bearing is not the correct one for Bevel Mains ! The original bearing, was a 15 Degree, not a 40 Degree. Whilst a 40 Degree "will" work, at least for a time, they are designed for lower rotational speeds and more side load. Your Bearing shop will be happy to sell you anything that may do the job, but unless they are Bevel Ducati experienced, you're just another sale. Do a check with Steve, but I sugest purchasing the bearings from him, to make sure you have the correct ones.

Cheers
Rick.
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”