clutch bleeding

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

clutch bleeding

Post by ordinaryguy »

Got the solenoid problem resolved. Just had some wiring on wrong. Still trying to bleed the clutch though. I've done as the manual suggested but with no results. No air in lines as far as I can tell but lever goes right to the grip with no resistance. I've even pumped fluid from the slave up to the master and did get a few air bubbles but no change in the lever action. am I missing something?
jaffa
Mariana

Re: clutch bleeding

Post by jaffa »

The union between hose and master cylinder is higher than the master cylinder and will result in bubbles collecting there. There a couple of methods around that will allow effective bleeding but the one I use is to remove the master cylinder from the handlebar and tilt it so that the union is lower than the cylinder....pump the lever a couple of times and you will/should see some bubbles being released. If you can leave it in this position overnight all the better....persistance is the key here....just keep going.

Cheers.
Jaffa
Volvo Aware Motorcyclist

'78 Darmah
'92 907ie
'82 900 MHR
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ordinaryguy »

Well, not much success yet. I have tried removing the clutch/slave cover and hung it under the lever, to get more of a "lever over the slave cylinder" arrangement. Phe plunger in the slave moves slightly. I'm beginning to think this clutch is not complete. I can get my head around workings of a clutch design that has a push rod that comes from the other side of the engine case but this design baffles me. If I have the slave cylinder off, the clutch should be engaged, correct? but the plates are loose. like it's disengaged. Shouldn't there be a pressure plate on the outside of the clutch for the plates to push against?
Confused ordinaryguy
ordinaryguy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by ordinaryguy »

Persistence pays off. With a combination of a power bleeder and pumping and bleeding. I got some lever back. So much that the clutch will not engage fully now. The clutch plates are beyond there wear limit of 0.129. Mine are under 0.125. I've got a new set on order. I also had a fluid problem with the rear brake but with "persistence" they returned as well.

Thank You Jaffa,
Steve aka Ordinary Guy
jaffa
Mariana

Post by jaffa »

I think you will really enjoy this bike once you have her sorted out....they deserve a far better reputation.

Cheers. :rad:
Jaffa
Volvo Aware Motorcyclist

'78 Darmah
'92 907ie
'82 900 MHR

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”