top end noise

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

top end noise

Post by wilis »

i have a rattle type noise in rear head when hot, 860GT(not there when first started)mainly when backing off from high revs.have checked all i can think of.could it be lack of oil supply? (its like a dry tappet noise on a car).GW
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Re: top end noise

Post by Lumpy »

Worn oil pump maybe??? Struggling to make pressure/flow when the oil warms up??
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wilis »

is there a simple way to check oil flow to rear head ?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve got one of those gear gazer windows on mine. Friends rekon it`s a bit of a wank but it`s a good way to see you`ve got some oil flow happening. Interseting to note that on my two bikes oil flow is fairly slow to make it up to the back pot when you stop them and re-start when they are hot. Both have good oil pumps too. The gear gazer set me back about $90 a few years back but I rekon they are a good investment. Purely on a safety side of things. Most engines have some oil pressure warning system but a lot of bikes don`t. Considering the consequences of a seized engine on a bike with the rear wheel lock up issue. They are kinda hard to monitor while riding and I would`nt recomend that but at least you can see lube action before you take off
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Assuming you've checked the valve clearance there are a few other things that can cause a tappet type noise. A loose valve guide[valve stem to guide] or a guide loose in the head,excess wear in the rocker spindle bushing[s],broken valve spring[not too likely],a worn piston [skirt wear],small end/piston pin wear,or what you don't want to hear,a worn big end.
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wilis »

thanks for your help will check again and let you know how i go.gw
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Lumpy wrote:I`ve got one of those gear gazer windows on mine. Friends rekon it`s a bit of a wank ...
Well Lumpy, if they were good enuf to be used by the factory when they fired the bikes up on the test bed, I reckon they should be good enuf for your friends ... :rad:

But impressive to see the oil flow, eh? Like someone turned on a tap ... (or 'faucet' to you Septics ;) )

Ciao

Craig
big phil
Mariana

Post by big phil »

hi mate. i had the exact same thing on a 86o gt. sounded like a irregular tapping noise from the rear head. sorry to say, it turned out to be a big end. the easiest way to tell is whip off the front cyl and barrel. if the piston is scored and has shiny bits in the skirt, big end.
theres a certain quality in quantity

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”