860 gt head leak

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

860 gt head leak

Post by wilis »

Hi from Australia,can anybody advise me on leaking head 860 gt,have just reasembled heads after doing valves and have oil bubling out of rear head,has new o rings,while apart i had tubes rechromed would this add to length of tube and stop head from seating fully.thanks GW
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: 860 gt head leak

Post by wdietz186 »

What comes to mind is possibly one of the dowel pins is cocked or has a burr that is holding the head off or you have a stud pulling out of the case.Did all the nuts torque up evenly? The bevel tube could be hanging up on the orings that seal it,try spinning it and see if it moves up or down[it is hard but it can be done] I use a pair of pliers with soft jaws. It is always the hardest head to get off that messes up isn't it?
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

G'day GW,
Is the oil coming from the head joint?
If so, good chance you have pinched one of the o-rings. This happens a lot on the rear head if you are not totally careful.
Probably need to lift of the head a little bit to check the o-rings out.
I use a dab of Hylomar to stick the o-rings in place before dropping the head but have still managed to stuff up on occasion.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
RAD
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wilis »

thanks for the help,after checking all possible causes ,oil dowels etc for restrictions,i found that on the suface of the head that the cylinder sleave fit up against had a raised section in aluminium on the area that was leaking,not allowing the head to fully seat,hopfully this was problem, will keep you posted on the outcome. can i run 20w50 oil.thanks again
wilis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wilis »

head back on no leaks,the problem was the raised section on the the side of the head that cylinder sleave fits into.GW

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”