Oil drip on 900SS

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
GHamilton
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Oil drip on 900SS

Post by GHamilton »

There is an annoying drip coming from the brass screw at the bottom of the motor. According to my research, it is a screw holding the receiving end of the filter screen. I need to know if it is okay to remove this without causing any problems so that I can perhaps put some type of thread sealer on it. Anyone?

Gordon Hamilton
AHRMA #58r
1980 900SS
'80 900SS Ducati
5 SR500 Yams
3 MuZ Skorpions
'66 Black Bomber
('66 CRTT) Gone to a good home
'67 Riverside Scrambler
'77 XS650
'74 Vespa Sprint Super
'05 MuZ Baghira
in-two
Diana

Re: Oil drip on 900SS

Post by in-two »

Hi,
If you are talking about the sump oil drain plug, the 22mm a/f large nut nearest the rear of the bike, it does indeed attach to a long tubular plastic filter screen. It also (obviously) holds the oil in the engine. They frequently leak a bit, to fix you have to remove it, drain the oil and replace the sealing washer. The originals were aluminium alloy and easily crushed/distorted. Just replace it with a copper washer, most automotive supply stores hold a supply of various sizes of these, doing the same duty on cars. I don't have the exact size to hand (I'm in a different country to my 900ss today!) Avoid using a sealing compound if you can, it shouldn't be necessary and just makes unscrewing and clean up next time a pain. Take care re-fitting, it should easily screw in with fingers, if it doesn't, the other end of the filter screen hasn't located properly, which can cause fairly serious problems. You will feel when it is right. I think there is a torque setting but I don't recall it (someone?), I use a standard 1/2 " T bar symetrically with both hands(either side of centre) and a long socket, about 1/8 turn after finger tight should easily be enough, too much and you will be back to square one! I've never heard of one falling out, but it's worth checking after a ride, when still warm. Hope this helps.
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
GHamilton
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by GHamilton »

Nope. Not that one. On the underbelly of the motor. A small, 10mm diameter, brass, slotted screw which I believe holds the plastic, captive part that the long filter screen goes into. I just need verification that I can, indeed remove this without causing a problem.

Gordon
'80 900SS Ducati
5 SR500 Yams
3 MuZ Skorpions
'66 Black Bomber
('66 CRTT) Gone to a good home
'67 Riverside Scrambler
'77 XS650
'74 Vespa Sprint Super
'05 MuZ Baghira
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yes make sure if the little screw on the bottom of the sump has been preened with an awl that you do a very shallow drill on the peened bit so you can then unscrew it, then clean it up and use some loctite on it and thread it back in place. You can peen it again to make sure it stays put.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Duh!
Sorry about stating the obvious (at tedious length...) about the sump plug, I looked at your sig after posting and realised that, with such a collection of bikes, you must know what you are doing and be talking about something else! I'll just stand in the corner of the classroom with an 'idiot' hat on my head...
cheers,
In-two
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Leave the sump filter in place when you do remove the screw. The rubber piece it secures can move out of place if nothing is holding it in position.
You could just blob the whole thing over with some epoxy if you don't want to remove it.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”