Carbon be gone

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Carbon be gone

Post by sd900 »

Anyone have any advice on the best way to clean carbon off piston heads and inside cylinder heads? Is there a good chemical soak on the market?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Carbon be gone

Post by wdietz186 »

Easy off oven cleaner,Paint Stripper,Permetex gasket remover. All contain Methylene Chloride which removes skin too. Spray or brush on and wait awhile,wipe or rinse[follow directions on container]. Wear gloves and use with good ventilation.Ruins paint too.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Also wear a head sock and face shield and safety glasses. Better to be prepared, safe and not get hurt doing so......
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
sd900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sd900 »

Good to know. Thanks for the advice, I will heed that. Will I need to polish clean heads with fine steel wool or the like after? Or will that scratch, etc?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

This post is a little old but this is worth mentioning on this topic. The tale is not about a bike as such but crosses over. I work as a Marine diesel mechanic and recently had an instance of a gentleman who had purchased a small 3 cylinder diesel Yanmar engine in his boat. The engine had done little work but had been left to sit for a long period of time. The engine was very difficult to start and after going through all the checks of fuel and air supply, and since the engine could only be started with Aerostart (ether) or hot air gun in the air intake I deemed the engine had compression issues. As the engine had low hours and had been left to sit for a long time I decided it was most probably the rings had stuck in the grooves(common on marine diesels) and usually the fix was to remove the pistons, clean the grooves and replace the rings(while your in there) and hone the bores.

The owner was low on funds and could not afford this so I suggested spraying a carbon remover down the intake while rolling the engine on the starter but not letting it start and letting it soak for a day. I was not at all hopeful and explained not to get his hopes up as I had never used these "aero fix it`s". Truth be know I frowned on them but this guy was broke and desperate.

No one was more surprised than me at the miraculous recovery of this little engine. Now an easy starter under it`s own compression. I`ve since noted there are many different brands of this stuff around. Some of it recomended to be sprayed down the air intake of petrol engines while running. So if carbon is an issue, or rings are stuck in grooves for the sake of some $15 it`s gotta be worth a try. Won`t fix worn rings, bores or pistons but sure does shift the carbon

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”