900ss oil filter

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
drytech
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

900ss oil filter

Post by drytech »

hi, hope you can help.
I am rebuilding a 1980 900ss. it had been converted to use a screw on oil filter and had a small ring under the filter which was used to divert the oil to a filter and directly to the cam boxes.
i removed all the pipework etc and checked to see if the internal head oil ways were blocked off, which they hadnt.
However, i then noticed that the engine casting where the oil filter is mounted has been machined down by 15-20mm, so i need to replace this with a machined ring.
the internal bolt fits correctly.
my question is, has anybody else undone this modification, and does anyone have any photos or dimensions of the oil filter casting area

thanks

stephen
radecal
Parallel Twin

Re: 900ss oil filter

Post by radecal »

A couple of questions.
1. Why are you taking it off? Restoration to concourse condition?
2. Was it working ok?
3. Where did you get the bike from?

I know of someone over there who was converting bevel engines to take the later screw-on type filters and considered this to be a better set-up.
Some photos would be good.
Regards,
RAD
drytech
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by drytech »

Thanks for the reply.
I want to change the bike back to standard as i didnt like all the pipework etc.
It worked well, but prefer standard.

I just need the dimensions of the engine casting where the oil filter is located so I can change back, do you have 900ss in bits you could measure for me?
regards
Stephen
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Hi Drytech - whereabouts are you?

I know the conversion was probably a bit ugly, but SO much better than the original set up!!

I'm not quite sure which bit you need measured -mine's original, so I will do the necessary if you can be a bit more specific. Can easily send you a photo or 2!

Cheers
Hugh
drytech
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by drytech »

Thanks for the reply Hugh, I'm in Kent.

I hope I can explain this easily....

If you look at the engine casting which the oil filter is located it is normally about 40 - 50mm high. On mine, the casting has been machined down so it is about 20mm high so a manifold ring can sit on top then a screw filter.

I want to put back the metal that has been machined off, but not sure of how high the casting is above the actual engine casing.

So the dimension I need should be the height of the top of the casting above the engine casing. Best place is in line with the two screws on the timing cover.

if you send me your email, I'll send you a picture and it I'm sure it'll be clearer then.

thanks

Stephen
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Sounds like Hugh has you sorted out. If you get stuck, let me know as I am pulling my 900SS down soon.
Regards,
RAD

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”