darmah kickstarter

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
hashashan
Mach 3

darmah kickstarter

Post by hashashan »

Hi,
Fitted everything in place to close the crankcases, and ran into a little problem, I saw this diagram and it seems like I've misplaced the circlip holding the kick starter gear in place and the snap ring holding the spring(or maybe didn't have them in first place)

can anyone help me and explain/draw/picture .. how they look so I can replace these?

thanks for the help.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: darmah kickstarter

Post by wdietz186 »

It's been a long time but the circlip is a 24mm external Seeger ring,and the snap ring is square section 20mm by about 1mm.[taken from the Darmah parts book]
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

the snap ring should be cut so that I can put it under the grove and turn it? or it is plain?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

It is split with enough gap to get snap ring pliers into it .You spread it to get it over the end of the spline and into the groove.It should be a snug fit in the grooce.If you don't have the correct ring you could probably use 2 external seeger type rings [the type with the holes the pliers little pins go into] back to back to be thick enough to take up the space in the groove. Your shaft does have a groove in the end to fit a snap ring in it doesn't it? I say this because I worked on one at one time that had two of the spline ends broken off and a circlip was tack welded in place on the end. I figured it was the result of monkeys at work but maybe it had some other cause.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

actually the situation is much sadder :wah" ... I didnt know that there should been a grove there ... all I have is one spline in tact .. all the others are broken off(apparently)
so the grove there supposed to be just like the one that holds the kick starter gear?
I can use a dremel tool to make a deeper grove, will that be smart?
Ill upload a picture later today, maybe im getting something wrong
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

It would be good to see a picture. Due to the thin section of the remaining parts of the spline after the groove and the hardness of the metal breakage there might be more common than I thought. I imagine there are used ones around,I might even have one or two in my piles.[Cue the Preperation H jokes]
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

So this is the sad situation, I guess this explains why each time I touched the kickstarter while riding the bike it made strange noises.

Now what I thought to do is to use a dremel disc tool to grind off the material that is surrounded with the red box on each of the faces and install a new snap ring(smaller in inner diameter) inside. I dont think that it will affect the strength of the shaft too much. What do you say about that idea?

PS. I meant to write "left" instead of "right" on the picture
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I think I would do the same.I don'tthink it would weaken it at all unless you went way below the inner dia. of the shaft. Looking back on the one I worked on long ago a blob of silver solder would add some security and also be reversible in case it needed to come apart again. Even when the splines are all there they make frightening noises if you push on the kickstart while it is running. It is the ratchet gears ouncing off each other as the big gear on the shaft is spinning when the engine is running.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

Everything went easier then expected
here are the results :

tomorrow Ill get the circlips and try to assemble the whole thing

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”