desmo a gt motor

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
braveone
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

desmo a gt motor

Post by braveone »

Hi I have just bought another 750 gt. Very sad condition with many engine parts missing, barrels, pistons and big end. My question is has any body desmo one of these engines. I have the opportunity to buy a complete top end from a 900 desmo and I am thinking of turning the whole bike into an ss replica. Any advice would be apprciated. Thanks John
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Congrats on your reentry into bevels!

A round case springer can certainly be desmo'ed, and I have a friend with a desmo 750 sport, but that is done by machining the existing heads to take the closing rocker spindles and fitting greenframe cams and closer spindles and rockers. Even if you can find them, they will be very, very expensive. The only reason that one was done was because the previous owner was an engineer for VeeTwo and had access to both the parts and the jigs.

To be honest, unless you've greenframe top ends sitting around doing nothing, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it unless you are planning on building a racing engine, and even then, you'd have to do an awful lot of work and go to a lot of expense in other areas to make it worthwhile.

Kev
braveone
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

desmo gt motor

Post by braveone »

Thanks. But what I was thinking of doing is fitting 900 barrels and heads, So btm gt750 and 860/900 desmo top end. I have heard parts will fit with a little machining to the cases where the barrels fit? Most will say this not the thing to do but I'm missing the original barrels pistons and btm end. I will try to load a picture of what I have. Thanks[/img][/url]
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Apart from the barrels/pistons/heads there are the conrods that were different between roundcase and squarecase.
So You could fit some SC rods and turn the barrels down a bit.
If You still have the 750 heads, You will have to change the top-bevels and check to be sure the oldham-couplings are still interacting well.
They don't have a lot of extra space between them.
Good thing is that when fitting a desmo head, they will not be loaded too much so You could grind a few mm away.
Have fun :-)

cu
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”