Exhaust Header Stampings for Mille S2/MHR

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
herbg
Diana

Exhaust Header Stampings for Mille S2/MHR

Post by herbg »

I'm in the process of restoring my 1985 Mille S2 back to stock condition. Unfortunately, the bike was sold to the original owner with a Verlicchi 2-into-1 exhaust system. Racy but not OEM ...

I'm trying to source a full 2-into-2 Conti system for the bike. I'm having a very difficult time finding the Vertical (080384020) and Horizontal (076984030) exhaust headers.

One vendor has a NOS vertical header but the piece has no number stampings. The horizontal header seems impossible to find.

Does anyone know if the horizontal, vertical, and balance pipes all had factory stampings with the part number?

Appreciate your help.
Herb...
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Don't quote me as gospel Herb but I think there were a couple of later bikes that came out with 2 into 1 on them from the factory. I am aware of an MHR Mille that did.
I can check mine tomorrow for you but it may have aftermarket pipes. I purchased the bike some time ago and packed it away to wait for restoration when time permits so the memory is vague.
By the way, what are her engine and frame numbers? Is she one of the 171 S2 Milles or one of the rarer Frankenducs?
Regards,
RAD
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

The Conti 2into1 was a factory option....!!
See the Mille brochure.
herbg
Diana

Post by herbg »

Yes, you are correct. The Conti 2-into-1 was a factory option. I am acquiring a 2-into-1 system to replace the "Competition Only" 2-into-1 Verlicchi system which was installed on my bike when purchased from the dealer.

However, I would also like a full 2-into-2 Conti system for this bike. But the original, properly stamped, header pipes seem very difficult to find. Appreciate any tips on finding these.

And, the bike is a real S2 ... number 81. I've owned the bike since 1987 - 2nd owner.

Cheers,
Herb...
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Herb

i have a NOS headerpipe laying around stampings are 076.984.520

Eldert
herbg
Diana

Post by herbg »

Eldert:

Not sure what bike that pipe is for as I do not recognize the number for either a 900SS or Mille S2.

Herb...
DM860SS_90003*
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DM860SS_90003* »

According to the parts catalogue, 0769.84.520 is the vertical pipe for the (later, at least*) 900MHR.

* Edit: Just checked and my early 900MHR also uses this part.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”