new OEM small bracket Conti to swap

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
in-two
Diana

new OEM small bracket Conti to swap

Post by in-two »

The whole story could be called 'Conti Confusion'. Many years ago (around 1979) I picked up a pair of brand new small bracket Contis directly from the factory in Borgo Panigale, to be fitted to my '75 900ss when I crashed/the originals rusted out. Luckily neither happened to a serious extent so they languished in greased sacking until now. I'm now restoring the ss so imagine my surprise when I discover that I have a pair of '105' suffix silencers as a right/left pair. My originals are a 100 (R/H) and a 105(l/H). The '100' is 659 mm long, the '105' is 666 mm and the mounting hole is a few mm nearer the engine than the 105. I'm sure I can 'make them fit' but is there anybody out there with a '100' small bracket to swap/ sell? To add confusion I also have a set of new big bracket contis, 100 R/H, 105 L/H that could form part of the equation.
Here is a pic with originals in the middle, new small brackets on the left, new big brackets on the right. Now I have all the plating/re-finishing done, I hope to make some progress on the resto, and will try and post pics as well as answer some questions rather than just ask them!
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi N2,
I have a right side small bracket Conti with numbers 0755.84.100.
It is used. It appears better than the originals you have pictures posted of.
I replaced the exhaust on my '73 GT with new.
I had it up on E-Bay last year trying to get $300 for it. It was advertised as in good shape for a rider. I could send you pics if it would be of interest to you or put them up on Smugmug and post them here if that works.
Since you are restoring your bike I wasn't sure if this would be something that would interest you.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Hi Dean,
Many thanks, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I will PM you with my email address so you can send pics. As you guessed I am looking for new/very good to fit with the rest of the bike. It also seems that some 'new' Contis are coming available via Steve or Mario Sassi, but I have yet to check out whether they match my originals and whether they will sell a single. I'm actually more concerned with the interior (rusted baffles) than the exterior as my new factory originals have very poor chrome from the get -go, (plating is thin/missing around the bracket join) and might need to re-visit the bath anyway.
Cheers
Zed (In-Two)
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey N2,

Here is what it looks like from this angle. I will email more pics when I figure out why my email isn't working properly.
Looks good from here but there are marks other places.
Dean

Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”