Darmah kickstarter disassembly

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Ducless
Mariana

Darmah kickstarter disassembly

Post by Ducless »

I am going to have the kickstarter assembly on my Darmah re-chromed, but I am having a hard time taking it apart. I want to get the small rotating arm off of the long arm. Is there a snap ring underneath the chrome cap on top? Or is it just a retaining ring in a groove and you have to compress the cap to get it out? I really don't want to break anything so I figured I would ask.

Thanks
Dave
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

I thought Darmahs had a fixed kickstart-lever, just get the M8 out and pull it off.
The (first) SS kicks had a small mark on the top of the bolt, unscrew two turns and then align with the axle. Then slide it off.
Can't remember if it had to be pointing towards engine or not.
Have fun
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

yes the main arm is fixed, but I am talking about the small upper arm that you actually put your foot onto. on the ss models the whole kickstarter rotates, and on the darmah only the small upper arm rotates. the darmah's is different because you do not need to clear a footpeg.
Jon Pegler
Mariana

Post by Jon Pegler »

Some of the Ducati kickstart levers do have a small snap ring fitted, quite deep down inside the top retaining ring..
You do have to push the top retainer down whilst trying to extract the wire snap ring itself, as you suggest.
I've done it myself and know it can be very fiddly to get apart.
I found it fairly easy to re-assemble, though.
Good luck.

Jon

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”