Reassembly of shifter mechanism. 1979 900GTS

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
900gts
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Reassembly of shifter mechanism. 1979 900GTS

Post by 900gts »

After running on 4 1/2 gears and a slipping clutch for a while I decided to do a little maintenance.
Based on comments and a little reading I purchased a new shifter spring and a clutch pack, and I will rewire the pickups while it's all apart.
Cover came off easy, clutchbasket and plates fought a little and found some worn plates. No problem here.

The problem is the reassembly of the shifter linkage. I have a neutral position as a datum and I can manually move the drum through the shift sequence. The new spring looks slightly different from the old in as much as it looks tired and worn.

I am unable to reassemble as I can't find the correct location of the spring legs in relation to the eccentric. The image in the manual looks like a mirror image so I can't tell the spring position.

I can post pictures if required but it's kinda difficult to make out.

Any (polite) suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Funny, I am working on my 79 GTS in NH today, and am having a problem getting my sprocket cover on correctly. I guess its NH GTS day.
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
MitchB
Mariana

Re: Reassembly of shifter mechanism. 1979 900GTS

Post by MitchB »

Hey!

Any luck solving this?

I think my shifter return spring has gone south on my '81 Darmah. I'm happy that the cases won't have to be split, but would like to know how to do the work before starting...
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

MitchB wrote:Hey!

Any luck solving this?

I think my shifter return spring has gone south on my '81 Darmah. I'm happy that the cases won't have to be split, but would like to know how to do the work before starting...

Its pretty simple, even I can do it. Remove the clutch cover carefully without prying it then remove the clutch and make note of the position of the clutch plates. Behind the clutch is the gear selector mechanism. Remove this and replace the gearchange return spring which is wrapped around the part of the selector mechanism that slides onto the gear selector shaft. An eccentric screw and locknut form part of the selector mechanism. With the bike on the centrestand and in neutral and with the gearchange lever in place, adjust the screw until the gearchange lever rests at half-way through its arc of movement. Reassemble everything and test the bike. If it still doesn't shift properly, try the adjustment again since it is sensitive and can be tricky to get right.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
MitchB
Mariana

Post by MitchB »

Thx for the fast reply, Bruce.

Your answer - and other research - reveals this to be a potential easy fix.

Spring is on order...

MB
MitchB
Mariana

Post by MitchB »

Found some help others may need...

http://www.classicmechanics.com/news/ar ... part-eight

It describes re-assembly of the shifter mechanism abt half way through the article...

Cheers :vroom:

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”