1985 Mille S2 crankshaft issue

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Tony Mille
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1985 Mille S2 crankshaft issue

Post by Tony Mille »

On my last ride it developed a serious knock and rattle. I stripped it down only to find a lot of slop in the front big end. My mechanic informs me to get a replacment crankshaft and conrods, he doesn't recommend buiding it back up and regrinding it as it wouldn't be as reliable.
Does anyone have any suggestions, I imagine finding a replacement crank won't be easy.
Mille S2
#ZDM1000S2*100080*
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I would imagine Ian Gowanloch would be the likely source for parts. Depending on the damage the crank may be repairable by metal spray and the rods, unless really mangled can probably be repaired. The problem will be finding someone capable and willing to do the work.There are a few here in the states and I would imagine there is someone in AUS that can handle it. You will also need to find out what caused it in the first place so it doesn't happen again.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”