Conti sound dampeners?

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
confusa
Diana

Conti sound dampeners?

Post by confusa »

As I am sure everyone knows, Contis are LOUD. I have seen some dampeners that supposedly muffle them a bit. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work? Effect performance?
750S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 750S »

Why would you want to do that??????? :?:
'74 Sport '76 R90S
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

I suppose that there are two possible reasons:

1. you find the noise too loud yourself. In this case I have found some foam ear plugs to be very useful - they reduce the noise of the Contis to a pleasant muted thumping while allowing me to hear other sounds such as sirens, etc. I have also found that a major benefit is the reduction of wind noise and the resultant hearing protection. No more ringing ears after long, fast rides. No effect on performance either.

2. you are concerned for the "comfort" of others. However, the sound of the Contis is a major secondary safety feature - cars and other vehicles are always aware of my presence, so that is positively beneficial. However, I do wheel my bike 100 m down the road where there are fewer houses when I start it up at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning.

Steve.
Last edited by Steve Foster on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
confusa
Diana

Post by confusa »

Steve Foster wrote: 2. you are concerned for the "comfort" of others. The sound of the Contis is a major secondary safety feature - cars and other vehicles are always aware of my presence, so that is positively beneficial. However, I do wheel my bike 100 m down the road where there are fewer houses when I start it up at 6:00 am on a Sunday morning.
Yeah, more so just not having my neighbors who are unfortunately close, give me evil glances because I wake them up early in the morning when I head out. Personally I like the sound, but my uppity neighbors are not so keen on it.
Bern
Parallel Twin

Post by Bern »

I'm afraid you'll have to replace them with aftermarket quiet ones. I would be happy to give the conti's a new home where they would be allowed to fully breath. :)
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Or maybe replace the neighbors!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

wdietz186 wrote:Or maybe replace the neighbors!
that's wot I was thinkin........... ;)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

3. another possible reason for fitting "something" in a conti is to give the impression to uniform wearing noise zealots, the type found all over Austria, Germany and Switzerland, that you do actually comply with your vehicle papers (although have little or no affect on the sound) and thereby avoiding having your pride and joy confiscated to be picked up later on a trailer. So if such a thing really exists, which I doubt, tell me where I can get them.
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

Maybe you can think about this ebay item http://tinyurl.com/3svdvsg
Not bad but quite expensive :-D.
I suppose is the only thing you can put on a Conti without shame.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”