Darmah Engine Overhaul

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

well finally,
the blows didnt help.
however I did modify a 2 arm puller tool to fit the flywheel and managed to take it off.
damn it went off with a big pop, blew everything I had on my stand from it.
the misfortunate news are that I lost the little pin that sits in on the crank(the one that is taken out in order to take the flywheel off) where can I get a new one?
maybe ill find it however I doubt it
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Woodruff keys and other consumables are readilly availiable from Lacey Engineering and other sources --Steve??
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

never miind, I found it :)

well more pictures will be uploaded shortly
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

took off the bevel gears, also all the allen holding the case together
i cracked the case open but I just cant take the cases apart. any secret tricks here?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

You need to turn the kickstart shaft about 90 deg. to disengage the pawl in the case to seperate the case halves. Be mindful of the shims on all of the shafts,they may fall or stay with the shafts or stick to the bearing races.Many times the fit of the crank in the bearings is tight and will also make the cases harder to separate.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

and what are you doing in the bearing case?
the thing is that the case is open to about 1cm opening. It is really not comfortable, so I cant use a lot of force. I can separate it a bit more with some soft stuff between teh halfes(I know that they can be damaged that's why I use plastic or wood).
I can lift the whole engine holding its lower half and the bottom wont move
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

TURN THE KICKSTART A QUARTER TURN to release otherwise damage WILL occur!!!. Good luck.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

ok, I got the kickstart thing,
but it jumps right back, should I hold it with somethig, or it will release even after it will come back?
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Clamp a mole grip or similar and tie up at 1/4 turn to free your hands. No Rush!!
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

It doesnt help.

I rotated the kickstart 1/4 turn as said(counter clockwise right? it doesnt turn the other way) and still it feels like there is something holding inside.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

its just occurred to me, shouldn't the crank rotate when I rotate the kickstart? The crank doesn't move when the kickstart is being turned(only a little bit in the end)
however the shaft where the chain sprocket should be does turn.
maybe I'm doing something wrong?
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Counter clockwise is right try 45 degrees lift off left side case try to leave the innards in the right side, the gear shafts may be holding in the bearings,try turning the clutch shaft ,check all round for something you have missed, crossover shafts? ,protect con rods .woodruf keys removed?.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

You've gone quiet Hashashan, ready to sell that bucket of bolts?.
hashashan
Mach 3

Post by hashashan »

hey hey, im not giving up that easily :)
but still cant open the case. I tried different angles of the kickstart and nothing seems to work. Is there any way to know I hit the right angle? I can look inside from the cylinder hole.
maybe I didnt take something off that I should of?
any more hints or advices?
how hard should it be? should I put in a lot of force to take the case apart?
cant put too much force cause I dislocated my shoulder and still a bit weak.
can I use a plastic or wooden lever?
crossover shafts, protect conrods what are these?
I think I removed all the woodruff keys
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Some motors have crossover shaft to convert left side brake to right side, protect the connecting rods from knocks against the cases ,wrap with pipe insulation , Check out stripdown articles on Ducati mechanica site for something you may have missed ,sometimes a few taps with a copper or hide hammer on crank is needed, go easy!! time is not a problem, you have the rest of your life !!.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”