front cylinder exhaust nut

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

front cylinder exhaust nut

Post by stuart »

hello all
how di i get the exhaust nut loose on the front cylinder the problem is a former owner has tried and broken quite a few of the fins off. i have the proper exhaust tool and have enough of these fins to fill the spanner . but no amount of pulling,pushing,hitting will move it . i want this off but need some ideas please
many thanks
stuart
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

heat gun, let cool, repeat a few times.

spray with KROIL and let sit for a few days

repeat the above

if you can get the nut to eventually go at all, then patience, more KROIL and gentle back and forth over several days if not weeks, spraying more KROIL and letting sit, then back and forth with the tool.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hi Stuart,
You didn't mention it but does the bike run? If it runs start it up and get it hot. Next spray some penetrating lube at the threads ( be careful of flammability). When hot, the lube will be drawn into the threads.
Next use your exhaust nut spanner and GENTLY tap toward tightening the nut. Yes, tightening. See if it will move ever so slightly. Then GENTLY tap it towards removal. Once it starts to move work it back and forth between loosening and tightening as you remove it. Don't try to unscrew it all at once once it is moving. The threads in the head are easy to bugger.
If the bike is not running, use a torch and heat the head around the nut (not the nut) hot to the touch and use the above technique.
It is easier to GENTLY tap with a heavier hammer than to pound away with a lighter hammer.
Let us know how it goes,
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

OK Steve got in there before I did so "What he said too"
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stuart »

thanks all
was thinking about heat and some gentle taps. but its good to get a few opinions.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”