Check my valve adjustment logic...with pic!!!

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
confusa
Diana

Check my valve adjustment logic...with pic!!!

Post by confusa »

Okay, so I think I understand the process. I rotated the engine counterclockwise until the lobes are at 4 and 8. This is the front cylinder, no image rotation. I believe that is the correct position in the picture for TDC but someone please confirm for me.
What makes me wonder if I am doing this correctly is that the valves and adjusters NEVER have a gap. They essentially touch throughout a full rotation which I am fairly sure is incorrect.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

It looks right to me although I'm a little out of practise since I sold my 860GT 23 years ago. There should definately be clearance, 0.08 mm (0.003 in) intake, 0.12 mm (0.005 in exhaust).

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Stupid question maybe, but you aren't trying to adjust them withvthat block removed are you?
confusa
Diana

Post by confusa »

DesmoDog wrote:Stupid question maybe, but you aren't trying to adjust them withvthat block removed are you?
Actually I was yes. I am assuming by your question then that I should put that part back on?!
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Pursuing that thought further, you are measuring the clearance at the adjustable tappet ends I presume. When doing so, make sure the flat on the rotating ball end of the adjuster matches up with the top of the valve.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Yes you are in the right position.Yes you need the caps installed when you are adjusting the clearance.The bearing cap supports the end of the cam and due to the play in the bearings with the cap off the cam isn't in its running position and if you set the clearances they will be off by a few thousandths.The adjusters have a little flat sided ball where they contact the valve stem and it is kind of difficult to get the feeler gauge in sometimes,usually wiggling a bit will get the blade to go under the ball[the feeler gauge!] Try to use blades that aren't bent or dinged up so you get a good feel for the drag.If they are rough they will catch on the edge of the ball and give you a false reading.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”