False Neutral

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Angry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

False Neutral

Post by Angry »

Hi,
Having trouble with a false neutral between 3/4 and 4/5. have followed Steves Clutch setup . thought I might be getting a small amount of clutch drag. Removed basket and checked out clutch plates they look ok bike has only 53000 km on it so I am at a guess as to what to do now any suggestions.

Does not seem to rollover into 4th it is as if it rolls to far but then you change up and and it goes neutral 4/5. So that indicates it is not rolling enough have replaced engine oil . So I am at stall at moment I do not want to pull down maybe I am missing an adjustment. Can anyone help.

Regards
Angry
78 Darmah
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Most problems of this nature are caused by a weak gearshift centreing spring or a misadjusted selector mechanism. At 53 000 km the spring should be replaced if it hasn't been already because if it breaks you may lose the ability to change gears - a drag if you are a long way from home.

Adjusting the selector mechanism isn't difficult but may take a few tries before everything works as it should.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Angry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Angry »

Thanks Bruce I am on Hols next week so I will look into it.

Regards
Andrew
78 Darmah
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

Most "false neutrals" can be fixed with proper changing technique.
Hold pressure on gearchange lever until clutch is released.
Give it a go, with a little thought and practice you'll never get another "false neutral" ;)
I survived :-)

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”