Cracked kickstart lever pivot

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
wa_pete
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Cracked kickstart lever pivot

Post by wa_pete »

Any ideas for repairing/saving the kickstart lever from my 78 900SS? It's started to crack through the pivot shaft.

thanks
Pete

Image[/img]
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

kicker

Post by Lumpy »

I`m not computer literate enough to post photo`s yet but go to this ebay link and here`s a guy who has got it sorted.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ducati-bevel-sup ... 2eab866442
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Pete, As suggested on that other site the pivot could be welded all around the groove area and it would likely be stronger than it was.Looking at the pics on this post the groove is only there for the roll pin that keeps it on the spline piece. Doing it the way it is on the E-bay lever you could weld the pivot,make it one diameter then drill/tap for a hard[12.9 or so] bolt to go through into the main arm a bit.A washer on the bolt will keep everything together and a button head bolt will be almost invisible. You might have to grind a bit off the spline part so the pivot shaft sticks out a tad so the bolt can be tight and allow the k/s to pivot.
wa_pete
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wa_pete »

Thanks for the link to the one on ebay, with that and Bill's explanation I can see a way to fix it.

pete

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”