how to remove rear head

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
toomuch
Mariana

how to remove rear head

Post by toomuch »

Hello there

Can someone tell me if I have to drop the motor in order to remove the rear cyl head ? Bike is a 1981 MHR
I noticed engine oil in the intake manifold so I was thinking of getting in there to take a look at the valve oil seals.

Cheers

Serge
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Serge,

before You get into heavy works : check if :
The valvecover is tightened
The rear head is tightened
The o-rings between head and cylinder aren't leaking.

If You're sure this is all clear, yes you can get the head off.
Remove plugs, put rear at TDC.
Remove exhausts, remove carbs and all cables from the engine, remove rearwheel so you can give the chain slack, remove both sidecovers (clutch and alt).
Loosen the head bolts, just a turn.
Remove front engine bolt, get some help and remove the upper rear enginebolt.
The engine tilts forward and you can get the head off.
Enjoy
joseph
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

valve seals

Post by Lumpy »

I have seen on occasion on mine that the valve guide seals just pop up off the valve guide. In this case you can just very carefully push it down onto the guide again. It`s fiddly but can be done. I`m very happy to report that on mine it happened on the front pot so was not as restrictive as the back one. But maybe just maybe you can get in there by getting maybe the battery and tank out the way, popping the valve cover and using a blunt instrument. It`s worth avoiding the temptation of using screw drivers because they can pearce the seal and then you need to replace it. As I say I`ve never done a back pot and it`s fiddley even on the front so the back will be more so, but it`s gotta be worth a look before you pull the top off and find you could have done in situ.
D-oh!!!!!
toomuch
Mariana

Post by toomuch »

Thank you for the replies gents !

Tempting to keep driving but eventually I would have to address the problem.

I will report back with the findings

Cheers

Serge
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

Also,a suggestion:Check for oil seeping between the guide and the head. This is almost guaranteed when cave-man valve guide removal methods have been used.This happens often to engines of all sorts,but is very easy to fix: remove the springs and collars,etc.,clean,and apply a bit of sealant to the the guide/head juncture. Use something heavy and tenacious,equivalent to the old brown Permatex.After I learned this,I used to always apply a bit of sealant to that area whenever doing headwork.Jerry Branch used to use Loc-tite

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”