engine and aluminum restoring

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
shane_tbird
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

engine and aluminum restoring

Post by shane_tbird »

any one had much to do with the stainless steel brushes used for the restoring of the fins, heads , block the finsh is unreal but do they work ?

http://www.machinerycleanery.com/

do they work , sizes , thoughts please
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

as no one else has--yes shane.i got a pair--big and small--heres my experience
1-they are expensive to purchase
2-they are top quality and re-usable-----you can keep on cutting em and using em
3-i could not clean my old scummy motor up to new -as in the hype---ever----i tried and ended up getting it blasted
this said-i would recommend them to any restorer-they are great(specially for rough castings in middle of engine side covers)-theres hundreds of uses for them--but sometimes they can clean-and without the proper recoat-ie zink---stuff will just rust-pm me --theres a guy doing his own zinking
so much time--so little to say
shane_tbird
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by shane_tbird »

great feed back i thought they were no magic bullet

geez if this was hypermotard feed back i'd get 40 threads

thanks nottoning night 68
shanetbird
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

You said you purchased 2 and couldn't do the finish like on the website. You needed to read the instructions as it explains how to do it. Need more than just 2 types to have a complete success. They last forever as well.
Check this website out as the brushes bought the engine back to this condition from tatty.
http://people.aapt.net.au/~arkay/richo_roundcase.html
Regards
RAD
RAD
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Yes - I have used them and I was happy with the outcome. Having said that, though, I also used thick dish-washing scourer pads which I cut into strips to get a really good finish between the fins.
Cheers,
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”