SD SSD kickstart

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
larslynn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

SD SSD kickstart

Post by larslynn »

Am having a discussion with a collegue who is stating all 78 darmahs including ssd`s came with kickstarts can anyone verify this.
Pleeeeease dont let him be right hahahahaha
thanks.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: SD SSD kickstart

Post by Craig in France »

larslynn wrote:Am having a discussion with a collegue who is stating all 78 darmahs including ssd`s came with kickstarts can anyone verify this. Pleeeeease dont let him be right hahahahaha
thanks.
No SSD EVER came with a kicker.

It also didn't exist until October 1978 when it was first shown at the Bologna Show. 200 were produced between then and the end of December, altho' these were recorded as 1979 models since, as was usual at the time, the manufacturing year began in the September of the previous year.

The first non-kicker SD engine was DM860 903762 which Ian Falloon (860, 900 and Mille Bible) puts into the 1980 production year.

"Confused? You will be ..." :)

HTH

Craig
larslynn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by larslynn »

Thanks mate, I am now off to stir up a bullants nest hahahahaha
Osred
Diana

Annoying Modification

Post by Osred »

Why the hell did the factory get rid of the kickstart assemblies? I can't stand how the electric start squarecase covers look, not to mention the weight of the extremely heavy starter motor.
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

kickers

Post by Lumpy »

I`m with you osred. I guess I`m a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to kickstarters. Had a Guzzi once that had starting issues and I got sick of parking on hills. You can almost understand with big bore stuff but what amazes me is some of the small bore machinery being produced today that has no kicker, elec start only. Surely weight gain/complexity would negate the need, especially with modern ignition systems making them so easy to start.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”