Valve oil seals

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
mdurco19
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Valve oil seals

Post by mdurco19 »

Anyone had problems with their valve oil seals on a '73 750 GT. For some reason I purchased a set from Bevel Heaven installed the green exhaust in the exhaust by hand. Didn't tap it down or anything. But it seemed to seat in the valve guide with no problem. After getting the head back together and back on the bike, I ran it with no problems. About two weeks later, I started getting a small amount of smoke from the front cylinder. I'm using 50w oil and have good compression. Both cylinders are around 115 in pressure.
Anyone have any thoughts? I'd hate to have to rip the head off again to check the valve seal seating.

Mike D.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Just take the valve covers off and look inside to ssee if the seals are still on the guide. Take your plugs out and turn the engine by hand and watch the valves open and close. If the seal has come off the guide it will rise and fall with the valve.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”