1979 900s Duke - fitting motor

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
ozzie_duke
Mariana

1979 900s Duke - fitting motor

Post by ozzie_duke »

Hi

I have been rebuilding my 1979 900ss Duke for the past 6 months and am ready to fit the motor back into the frame now but am having trouble getting it back in! It came out easy enough! So now Im feeling a bit dah! I have a chain block and a couple of slings and have tried several different ways - have had the bottom bolt at the rear in and tried to swing the front up - no way! various other methods but havent been able to fit it - it fouls on the protrusion at the rear of the crank case . Have plenty of time so no rush! Does anybody know the best method to be used? 8)

cheers

John
Darwin, Oz
ozzie_duke in Darwin Australia
Rebuilding my 1978 Duke 900SS - on the road now
Also 1976 T140E Triumph Bonnie
email:[email protected]
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day again John, Glad you sorted the Dash. Bevel Rubber supplies most of the Aust Ducati parts places so I don't imagine you'd find one cheaper, and pretty rare on E-bay, but who knows !
Re the Engine, what protrusion are you speaking of ? is it the casting for the bottom engine bolt ? I have just put a Squarecase engine into my 860 frame and whilst not easy, i simply used a trolley jack to elevate the motor into place, I placed padding under the sump and a tie down strap as a sling under the front for protection. You may need to ease the down tubes out with a little pressure if the cases won,t fit up, but they should go as long as your frame is not bent ? Maybe a stupid question, but you have got both side covers off whilst trying to fit it in haven't you ??
Keep us informed of the resto ?

Cheers again,
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

Hi Rick

No I dont have the engine side covers off and someone else has suggested that I do - or remove the wheels and lower the frame over the motor. I just cant remember how i got it out bit I think I used the later method because I didnt take the side covers off at that stage. I did try the trolley jack but got a bit worried about dropping the motor and doing serious damage! So maybe I just have to remove the side cases again! and be done with it. Appreciate your help Rick! Im real keen to get the engine back in the old girl now! Lots of work yet to do but its looking real good. Two packed the frame etc , new steering head bearings, have rebuilt front forks, polished everything endlessly. Will see if I can post a couple of photos!

cheers

John
rwhc80 wrote:G'day again John, Glad you sorted the Dash. Bevel Rubber supplies most of the Aust Ducati parts places so I don't imagine you'd find one cheaper, and pretty rare on E-bay, but who knows !
Re the Engine, what protrusion are you speaking of ? is it the casting for the bottom engine bolt ? I have just put a Squarecase engine into my 860 frame and whilst not easy, i simply used a trolley jack to elevate the motor into place, I placed padding under the sump and a tie down strap as a sling under the front for protection. You may need to ease the down tubes out with a little pressure if the cases won,t fit up, but they should go as long as your frame is not bent ? Maybe a stupid question, but you have got both side covers off whilst trying to fit it in haven't you ??
Keep us informed of the resto ?

Cheers again,
Rick
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I managed to get my SS's motor back in the frame from beneath without taking off the sidecovers using muscle power and wood blocks for support so it is possible. It just takes patience. Have you tried bringing the front mounts into position then swinging the back up?

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Post by ozzie_duke »

HI Bruce

No I havent tried that yet but over the weekend I had a good look at it and also had some replies from Bevelheads forum and looks like the best way is to remove the side covers ( prefer not too at this stage) and lift the front and get a temporary front bolt in (slim rod) - then swing the rear up and put in the lower bolt loose. Then put in the front bolt etc. Im sure that I got it out without taking off the side covers - I think I simply lifted the bare frame off of it - so I fugure it should go back with the side covers on.

Thanks for your advice

Cheers

John
abmartin wrote:I managed to get my SS's motor back in the frame from beneath without taking off the sidecovers using muscle power and wood blocks for support so it is possible. It just takes patience. Have you tried bringing the front mounts into position then swinging the back up?

Bruce
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

darmah engine

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve found that taking the frame to the motor not the motor to the frame is the best way to go. I usually sit the motor up on blocks then lure a few unsuspecting friends over with free beer as a the bait. Then, as though it`s some sort of after thought point out that some messy slob has left this bevel engine there and the frame over here. They usually see through the fiendish plan but by then it`s too late.
In all honesty I`ve had a go at them all, side covers off, trolley jacks, brute force and ignorance but found lowering the frame onto the motor the easiest. On my GTS I took the side covers off and had to pull the frame down tubes apart by hand to fit it through. The act of a desperate man working on a lounge room floor with very limited resources.
ozzie_duke
Mariana

Re: darmah engine

Post by ozzie_duke »

HI Steve

Thanks for that - will arrange to stock up the fridge with coldies! Do you think I need to take the side covers off on the SS?

cheers

John
Lumpy wrote:I`ve found that taking the frame to the motor not the motor to the frame is the best way to go. I usually sit the motor up on blocks then lure a few unsuspecting friends over with free beer as a the bait. Then, as though it`s some sort of after thought point out that some messy slob has left this bevel engine there and the frame over here. They usually see through the fiendish plan but by then it`s too late.
In all honesty I`ve had a go at them all, side covers off, trolley jacks, brute force and ignorance but found lowering the frame onto the motor the easiest. On my GTS I took the side covers off and had to pull the frame down tubes apart by hand to fit it through. The act of a desperate man working on a lounge room floor with very limited resources.
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day again John,

Looks like you've had plenty of varied replies since you posted. It is worth considering that the issue of removing the covers is two fold, one is certainly to assist with more clearance for fitting, but secondly it avoids accidental damage to the alloy covers. Believe me it is easy to do. These things are like gold. If you thought the dash was expensive have a look at the SS cover on E-bay at present. For the sake of 10 minutes removal, play it safe cause you'll be pissed off if you damage them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”