squarecase flywheel removal. backyard methods that work?

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
jbm
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

squarecase flywheel removal. backyard methods that work?

Post by jbm »

ok. I know this has been asked before, but this one seems really stubborn. I've been working on removing the flywheel and primary gear from my 860gt for a while.
I dont have a factory puller. maybe someone in the detroit area has one?

the first method i tried is the tap the edge of the flywheel with a smooth 3 lb sledge hammer while rotating. after about 20 minutes, no luck, and no damage.

the second method i've been trying is the "whack the crankshaft harder than you should with a block of hard wood and hammer". i've probably hit the chunk of cherry 50 times with both a 3 lb sledge and a 5lb dead blow, many of these whacks have been "stupid hard" and no luck, and no damage to the crank, just some mild dents in the cherry.

I think the third method I am going to try is a larger sledge. maybe a 12lb dead blow or a 12lb sledge?

any other options that i'm missing? can someone explain the effectiveness of using a drift on the woodruff key? maybe a brass drift? does that actually work? I really dont want to damage the crank.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

whoops

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve heard dropping the whole assembley on the crank end from a great hieght works a treat. Not only does it get the stator off but it loosens the crankcase bolts at the same time.
I`ve read your post over a few times and not quite sure if your serious or not. The line above is in case your having us all on, and is of course a joke, the lines below are in case your serious. In any case, I would`nt be spanking any crank shafts with any hammers any further. Alignment could be damaged and would be hard to pick up from outside.
I modified an automotive harmonic balance puller and some high tensile bolts I ground to suit as the puller arms. This works a treat, the pullers are cheap and available at any good automotive outlet.
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Put-Down-Your Weapon!

A standard 3-legged puller will fit if the feet are ground down a little, and once the thing is tight on, 5 minutes with the blowlamp on the primary gear only has seen two of them fall off in the last year for me.

Be careful though - the cutouts in the flywheel have to line up with the slots in the ignition stator behind it....and don't let the crank turn or the stator could get damaged.

Cheers,

Andy
jbm
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jbm »

heat on the primary gear and an aluminum punch (1+ inch) and a single tap.
done
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Glad you got it sorted without any more hassle :))

Cheers,

Andy

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”