Main crankshaft bearing

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Pantah
Mariana

Main crankshaft bearing

Post by Pantah »

Hi..

What is reference FAG or SKF for these bearings???
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

main bearings

Post by Lumpy »

I can`t remember the reference number as it`s been years ago since I changed mine. What I do remember however is that I used SKF and SKF make their bearings in 2 grades. There is the standard, which was relativly cheap and then there was the precision grade. Very basically one could spin to higher RPM than the other. The variation in price was huge as I remember and I went to great lengths, even contacting SKF to ask if I could get away with the standard variety. There was some conjecture on the subject and in the end I paid out the extra dollars and went with the precision units. They are still running to this day but who knows, maybe the standard units would have too. If I remember correctly the units that were in there where the precision units as well but i can`t be sure, it was many moons ago.
Be interesting to hear from anyone that went with the standard units and what kind of service they have got out of them.
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

Thanks Lumpy..

I have already found out by some of the original manufacturers..that they are angular bearings of 15º.
SkF and FAG has in catalogue of 40º ...
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1276

OEM main bearings direct from DUCATI in stock.........
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

You mean a set of these? ;)
my spare set NOS

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I think you'd be hard pressed finding a set like these anymore !
I found them by mistake last year , and there staying nice and dry in there seal packets for when the time comes that I may need them

If you do find a set let us know what they cost you , post or PM
cheers Mate
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

So my, NOS RHP's are worth there weight in gold ?
Not bad for an outlay of only AU$140 or US$99 just last year November !!!!
There definitely keepers now
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

Cage of the bearings removed from my engine(900SS/80)
MRC 307 R ( R= Angular 15º)
This bearing is of 12 balls and phenolic resin cage.

The part broken of gave off when removing them,I have appreciated a fragile texture surely caused by the temperature during all these years.
Perhaps 28 years ago the phenolic resin was the best thing ...after seeing the state of my old bearing I am convinced that there am right when trusting the present materials(polyamide).supporting better to the temperature and the years...angular to 15º,evidently...

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Although the cage is old the cracks are new , I have removed several bearings of this type and have never broken a cage during the process all I can say is you sure must have given it some force to cause this damage and I doubt that if the bearing cage was left in its holder with balls that this damage would ever occur as the rolling forces are very much different to those of side way removal forces
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

Hi Martin.

it was removed with the same force and gentleness that the second bearing..the second left without damages.

"I doubt that if the bearing cage was left in its holder with balls that this damage would ever occur as the rolling forces are very much different to those of side way removal force"

I agree in the theory....
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

'
HMM :? I still don't see any old wideness marks at all only new ones , if the marks were old they would appear dark in color
Pantah
Mariana

Post by Pantah »

it is certain...but the material is so fragile that I can divide it with a minimum force of my fingers.
I have removed to a bearing from a motor pantah with polyamide cage.. there am separated the cage of the balls and it has been impossible to cause some damage to me to the cage with the force of my handsthere .
The engine partah is of the 82. .2 years of difference with the motor of my 900SS..

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”