GT GEAR SELECTION

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
gerard collier
Mariana

GT GEAR SELECTION

Post by gerard collier »

I AM HAVING TROUBLE FROM TIME TO TIME DOWN SHIFTING,
SAY IN THIRD OR FOURTH AND NOT BEING ABLE GET INTO FIRST
AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHT, HAVING TO START OFF IN SECOND AND THEN BEING SBLE TO GET BACK INTO FIRST ???
ANY INFO ON ADJUSTING THE SCREW NEXT TO THE SHIFTER
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Sounds like the clutch may be dragging,does it lift enough to allow a free kickover in nutral?, the screw only adjusts the lever position, does the lever hit the ex pipe and restrict travel?If dragging its usually too much oil, warped plain plates or notched center.or uneven springs.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

......... or a worn out [stretched and about to break] clutch cable.

or the clutch basket nut has backed out allowing the clutch basket to wobble around a bit
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Gerard,Before you tear into the primary side you should take apart the shifter box and inspect the shifter centering spring.These have a habit of breaking and it sounds like yours is getting weak.While in there clean and grease the rest of the mechanism.The box is not lubricated by the engine oil and if in weather can admit moisture and rust.Plus after 30yrs. the grease probably isn't.The eccentric is to center the shift lever free play and really dosen't affect a whole lot.Also make sure the oldham coupler hasn't been eaten on by loose chain adjustment it can bind and cause poor shifting. Bill
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

As an experiment:
1. Please loosen the locknut on the little shifter box screw.
2. Turn that little screw both directions until you have ascertained that the shift lever is at the middle of it's travel.
3. Test ride the bike.
4. Report your results here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Thats interesting Den, just as an experiment I'll play with the adjuster on my problem free gearchange to check the effect, and I'll report back.Another item worth checking is the ball in the lift mechanism, mine was worn into scrap.
gerard collier
Mariana

GT gear selection

Post by gerard collier »

I removed the gear selection housing, I had had it apart when I split the
engine case, springs are good and stiff and everything looked in order.
I remounted it and adjusted the screw clockwise 1/2 turn,you
can see the
shift lever moving as you do this. Test drive time, the down shifting into first came back right away but the up shifting from 2nd to 3,4,5 would take 2 trys to find the gears, pulled over, readjusted counterclockwise
1/4 turn and everything came back to normal and went on for a nice ride.
I have 190 miles on it now and am planing on checking the valve clearance when I reach 200
Thanks for the info.
Gerard

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”