Darmah question

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah question

Post by sgr »

Hello everyone !

I opened the electric starter engine panel on my 1978 darmah and I found the starter chain to be loose. Is there a way to adjust ?

Regards

Sergio
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I haven't had my cover off in a while, but i seem to remember the bushed holes in the cover actually served to hold the starter gear driven spindle in place, thus providing the tension on the chain. May be stating the obvious here, but have you checked what your chain tension looks like when you hold the spindle in the correct operating position as per the inter centre distances of the shaft holes in the cover? You may even be able to put the cover partially on and check the chain tension through a gap between the cover and the main side cover.

If it is still loose then i guess you could look at cover plate bushes (i've never seen it happen before), or the wrong chain or something like that, maybe. I'd be suprised if you could stretch a chain like that sufficently to make a difference (but I've been suprised by Ducs plenty of times before!!)
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sgr »

Thank you for the reply ! I will have a look again tomorrow....
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sgr »

sgr wrote:Thank you for the reply ! I will have a look again tomorrow....
machten you were right ! removing the cover loosens the chain due to the shafts not being in thei operating position.

Thanks again
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hi sgr,

That's good news! Put the cover back on and get riding!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”