Dharma gear selection issues

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Karl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Dharma gear selection issues

Post by Karl »

Having just finished rebuilding my SSD engine I'm having 2 strange selection issues (probably related). Firstly, most of the time (but not every time) I come back to first from second and throttle on, the selector will jump into neutral, but only once. When first is selected again (I,ve been holding the shift down so that it kicks out and then straight back in), the issue does not reoccur.
The other is that the box seems to get stuck in changing between 1st and 2nd and is difficult initially to get up to 3rd. Eventually after several attempts it will shift up and then there are no problems (2nd to 3rd and above) until 1st is selected and the problems begin again.
I'm aware of the problems with worn dog teeth and had them repaired whilst the cases were apart for the rebuild. I also am pretty confident about the adjustment of the selector pin and the preload on the drum.
Having read some past posts it would appear that the selector spring tension may be an issue and that will be the next thing addressed but I thought it prudent to check if anyone with more experience than myself may know of anything else that may be the cause.
Any information appreciated
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I bought a selector spring from gowies just last week AU$15 to cure the same issue but mine does not jump out of gear like your does , where ever you had your work done phone them up and see or ask why this wasn't repaired at the same time

Good to see another SSD back on the road soon

Where is Sydney are you?
stanley

Post by stanley »

May also be that the selector needs adjusting.
Karl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Karl »

G'day Martin and thanks.
The bike is actually a 900GTS that is being made a super sport replica. The story behind the engine is that the previous owner of the bike bought it from a wrecked SSD in Melbourne some years ago and put it in the GTS.
I've done most of the work myself, being a mechanic (except the heads and crank/rods assembly done by Gowenlocks). I'll put a new spring in and see how it goes. Perhaps the spring will affect the adjustment a bit and that may explain the jumping out.
I'm in Maroubra.
Thanks for your interest
Karl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Karl »

Thanks Stanley I'll try a new spring and have another look at the adjustment
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Other end of town from you , I'm at Wisemans Ferry sound to me like you need to come out for a ride and have a beer at the pub one day
good luck with it all
Karl
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Karl »

Cheers Martin that sounds good. When she's finished I'll let you know

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”