Gear change spring Question

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Gear change spring Question

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

'
I had first and second year jump back to neutral how hard is it to change the gear change spring?
Do you have to split the cases or just the side cover?
should add its a 904*** engine
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

side cover and clutch
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Fairly straightforward job - the clutch cover and clutch must come off to get at it. The clutch cover may need some wiggling to remove but don't try to pry it off! Its critical to centre the gearchange mechanism after changing the spring otherwise you may not be able to get a good gearchange or access all the gears. This can be fiddly and you may have to readjust it a few times to get it right.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

gear change

Post by Lumpy »

My 900SS stopped shifting on the way home from a ride. I got to a service station in 3rd gear and had a sniff around but could`nt get it to shift. I left the bike there got a ride home off a friend and went back to pick the bike up later. Removed the clutch cover then the clutch and found that a cap screw (Allen key bolt) in the shift mechanism had come loose. It`s a while back and the function or name of the bolted part I`m unsure but it was part of the shift mechanism. Point I`m trying to make is while your in there, take the screws out and put a dap of non-permanent loctite on the screws. The SS had only 19000kms on the clock, engine factory sealed and this thing came loose. What was even scarier is that at one stage while messing with it at the service station I managed to get it into 5th and contemplated riding it home. The screw in question was hanging in by only a couple of threads and would surely have come out on the 200km trip home with consequences I don`t want to think about. Just be sure it`s the non permanent Loctite, not that green stuff that never lets go again. Ask me how I know.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”