New exhaust system?

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Per Garbos
Diana

New exhaust system?

Post by Per Garbos »

I am looking for a new exhaust system, probably in stainless, but I have been told, that the sound from stainless systems can be very "metallic" and loud.

Is the noise that bad, and are some systems better than others ?

How does they fit, compared to original systems

Right now I have pipes with inner tubes and Silentium silencers.
I had these pipes chromed last year, it was very expensive, but already now the chrome craks and it does not look that fine any longer. That is why I am looking for at less expensive stainless system, with the "Conti" look.

Any experience ?

Best regards Per
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Re: New exhaust system?

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Per Garbos wrote:I am looking for a new exhaust system, probably in stainless, but I have been told, that the sound from stainless systems can be very "metallic" and loud.

Best regards Per
I found the exact opposite the Stainless is thicker and therefor not as loud, on my Millie I run a full Stainless system and the sound is still that Ducati sound but not as loud as the conties I have on another bike, the sound if anything sounds deeper
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Thanks for the reply

That is interesting, then, I guess, there is no reason for not using a stainless system.
I know, that the pipes are getting "golden brown" by the time, but it should be easy to polish them to the original finish, is that right?

How about the silencers, are they also getting "golden brown"?

Best regards Per
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Only the header pipes go that golden color and only to the cross over pipe after that everything remains like chrome
As for polishing them yes you can but it does become hard work unless you have a polishing wheel set up
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

That sounds ok,

I will go for a stainless exhaust system

Best regards Per

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”