Darmah transmission problems

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
borismilo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah transmission problems

Post by borismilo »

Hi,
I have an 82 Darmah which I have owned since 1990. When I first got the bike, it had a problem when in top gear due to a few teeth missing in the gear box. I got the bottom end pretty much rebuilt. Since that time, I have put another 15000 ks on the bike and haven't done much work on it because of the lack of parts and lack of time.

All this going to change shortly. The other day when I was out riding and suddenly the bike started running like the chain was jumping the sprocket. On closer inspection, what I found was that the sprocket wasn't even turning. I am not sure what it is called, but the shaft inside the one that the sprocket sits on was spinning and engaging sporadically.

I haven't pulled it down as yet but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what the issue might be. Naturally, my biggest concern is increasing scarcity of parts for the bike and am tossing up just selling it off for parts.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Boris
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Doesnt sound good Boris, sorry to hear this.
Probably dont have to tell you bottom end /gearbox issues are expensive.
Good luck with finding the problem.

Any material floating /found in sump oil? Dont know where you are but if in OZ give Gowanlochs a call, Mike is in over the Xmas break. He may have a few ideas.

If its terminal let me know, if in OZ, may be interested.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
borismilo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by borismilo »

The sound wasn't good it was horrible! ;-)

I have come across a part that may be the one I need but I don't particularly want to buy it on spec. I'm avoiding naming it because in the parts book it is described as "Gear" but it is the gear and shaft that the front sprocket sits on. Without striping the bike, I don't know if it is this gear or the shaft it sits on. The part number is 0755.16.300. I am in Oz so I might give Gowanlochs a call and see what they say. Its frustrating because I have had it in my mind that I am going to fully restore it one day. To that end I have bought a few nick naks every now and again figuring I would use them one day.

I was hoping when I posted on here someone would reply "Oh, that's probably the doodad and you just need to tap it three times on the side and it should be right..." or something like that!

Cheers, Boris.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

No worries Boris, sorry I couldnt give a more direct response.
I spoke to Mike this morning on another matter , so yes, he is there and should be able to help you out.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Don't give up on the bike too easily. Its surprising what parts come up for sale on ebay if what you need isn't available new, plus there seems to be enough used stuff available in Australia to meet your needs. Your bike should already have what is considered the superior three dog gear cluster.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
borismilo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by borismilo »

Thanks Bruce,
Ebay is pretty good. I've bought quite a few parts over the years. I'm leaning towards a full restore. I guess in the worst case, I could get nowhere and just sell the bits on ebay.

Cheers
Boris.
Grover
Diana

Your Darmah

Post by Grover »

Morning Boris, I'm just down the road over the border in NSW> Ive just rebuilt the engine/gearbox in my Darmah and yep, they can be expensive. Just a thought, check your counter shaft sprocket nut is tight.
If you are going to step out of your bike without repairing it, give me a cooee, we might just be able to do a deal. Steve
The older we get, the more toys we collect!!!

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”