Conti Muffler Question

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Conti Muffler Question

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All

Can someone tell me what the main differences are between round and square case engines as far as Conti's go

I always thought that round case contis just had the plain mounting bracket
and the square case contis had the 3 dimple type mounting bracket

Are there different part numbers
Are they all the same length
The narrow end of the pipe is the diameter the same
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Martin, from what I can tell there were at least four iterations of the Contis in the early big twin production. The earliest production Conti had a tapered rather than rounded end. I always thought this was confusing as it is refered to as a 'tapered' Conti; all Conti's are tapered in the main section. There is a good picture of this silencer in The Ducati 750 Bible (red cover) on pg. 42. There was also a curved Conti used on the prototype 750 Sport, pictured on pg. 51 of the same volume. Then came the standard Conti with plain (short) bracket and finally the dimpled (long) bracket version.

As far as I know the Conti's are interchangable at least up through the Darmah's.

The narrow end of the pipe dia. did not change.

The 1975-76 edition spare parts catalogue for the 750 & 900 SS lists the Conti part number as 0775.84.100 & 0775.84.105 This change may have been on paper only as I have only ever seen the 0755 number on Conti's pictured in the liturature, for sale, or in person.

There seems to be other variations from the regular production and replacement parts and those made most recently. Welded seem on bottom vs no seem, oval vs no oval, etc. I haven't sorted out those details yet.

Basically, yes, plain bracket = roundcase, dimpled = squarecase.

More info than you needed probably :) Jordan
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

CONTI BBRACKETS

Post by nottonight68 »

QUITE CORRECT DIMPLE BRACKET CONTI'S ONLY FIT 76 ONWARDS & STRAIGHT BRACKET ON PRE 76 LOOK AT THE FRAMES -MOUNTING TUBES ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

No worries I got a genuine set coming to suit my SSD
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Chaps,

To add my ha'pennyworth.
1975 squarecases use the same silencers (simple bracket) as the 750s - you're exactly right about the frame tubes in this area nottonknight, they're quite different on '76 onwards frames, coincident with going to a LH gerarchange with the rear master cylinder migrating to the silencer mount tube on the right.

3-dimple silencers have a much taller bracket.

Cheers,

Andy
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i always liked the look of the 74-75 conti brackets-the later ones looked a bit tacky-i wonder why they changed bracket style not just dimensions to suit new frame

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”