ssd front sprocket oil leak

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
gavin
Mariana

ssd front sprocket oil leak

Post by gavin »

oil leaking from front sprocket. have replaced sleeve,both seals( mainshaft and sleeve gear),still leaking.sprocket is tight(not coming loose).after days riding is dripping quite a bit. the seals have been replaced twice. am wondering whether mainshaft damaged where inner seal runs,last resort is to split cases and ain`t to keen on that at moment. any suggestions ?
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

drip drip drip

Post by Lumpy »

I had a similar issue on my GTS. Problem turned out to be the finish on each end of the sealing sleeve that runs in the seal. A close look at one side showed machining marks, the other side was pretty finely lapped. I flipped it over so the lapped side was in toward the crankcases and Bob`s your Mum`s brother. I also put a very, very thin film of Permatex No 3 non hardening sealant on the sealing face. This is some years ago and she`s been fine since. Unfortunatley I went through the rigamarole of replacing the seal, lots of swearing and mopping puddles of oil off the shed floor before I sussed the finish issue. Hope this helps.
gavin
Mariana

drip drip drip

Post by gavin »

thanks for that,have been using loctite master gasket on sleeve myself but must admit have not been closely looking at sleeve ends.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”