rear bevel tube weeping oil

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
budgie955
Mariana

Post by budgie955 »

Having rebuilt my 900ss with new gaskets and seals i have a tiny oil leak from the top of the rear bevel tube...( the tubes themselves were rechromed and new rubber seals fitted)
please some one tell me a quick and easy fix. !!!! (ie that does not involve removing the engine again )

over to you guys

cheers

Dave Burn
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Dave,
I wouldnt be too worried if this has only occurred within the first few times of kick over, I have rebuilt an engine recently and had the same issue, I took the bike out for a 60klm ride, and when I got home I thought I had forgotten to place seals! the O rings had not "swelled" to their extreme under heat and operation.
I wiped the bike down and let sit overnight, went out again next day and all was and has been fine! I had stainless bevel tubes and the standard orings in place. Its good as gold now. Hope you can be this lucky, just dont panic!
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
budgie955
Mariana

leaky tube

Post by budgie955 »

Unfortunately Grant i've been out a few times on the bike and still it weeps oil..its a tiny amount but enough to annoy the hell out of me !!!

cheers

Dave
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Before you do any disassembly try turning the tube about an eighth inch side to side. If the o-ring rolled when the tube was installed this will allow it to untwist itself and hopefully seal. I've done this many times with success.
budgie955
Mariana

leaky bevel tube

Post by budgie955 »

thanks for that....i had a similar thought as it happens. You can get a 0.1mm feeler gauge between the tube and the bevel carrier that houses the o ring, so i have carefully gone round the tube with the greased up feeler gauge to see if i can re-seal it...so far so good..fingers crossed here

cheers

Dave
Tom Willis
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Tom Willis »

I replaced my tube orings twice before I examined the grooves. The casting in the back of the groove was pitted (probably that way since new). I cleaned the areas and added high temp silicone to the pitted areas only, installed the new oring and no more seeping. Apparently the oil was migrating around the outside of the oring and leaking.
Tom

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”