Correct alignment of bevel Gear

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Per Garbos
Diana

Correct alignment of bevel Gear

Post by Per Garbos »

I think it is a little bit difficult, to make the perfect alignment of the bevel gear on my 900 S2.
According to the workshop manual, the two grinding marks have to lie on the same plane, and at the same time, the bachlash has to be minimum, but without roughness or tightspots.
I got different sizes of shims but still it is difficult (impossible) to get it all perfect.
Is there some kind of at tolerance, or what is an acceptable step betwenn the gears.

At one of the gearset i have a step over the grinding marks around 0,04mm (0,00157 inches) , is that to much ?

Best regards Per Garbos
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

cam drives

Post by Lumpy »

Hi Per,
there is an exellent article on the subject on this web site. Go to the articles index, it`s titled Classic mechanics Spring 1984 Ducati cam drive gear, setting up bevel drives. I`d send the link but I`m not that computer literate. It`s written for singles but the info crosses over. I set up my GTS some years ago and just set it so the teeth lined up inside and out and there was a small amount of back lash. This is very important, there must be a small amount of clearance. That was 60,000 km`s ago and no problems.
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Thanks for your adwise,
I will line the gear up with no significant step and then accept some back lash.

Best regards Per

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”