Darmah Pistons

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Bret
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Darmah Pistons

Post by Bret »

Greetings again Bevelheads:

This question is about pistons. My '78 Darmah pistons are knackered both at the ring lands and piston skirt in the barrel so I am looking for new ones - what are some options for aftermarket pistons - what have you bought that works well, etc?

Thank you in advance
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

Hi Bret,
I used some Omega pistons in my GTS which were a higher compression piston and a few millimeters oversize. They are a high quality forged piston and are in the bike to this day and have done some pretty serious miles but I don`t know if I`d go that way again. I`ve found they are prone to ping at higher RPM when you give it a fistfull. I`m not sure but this could be the octane rating of fuel available at the pump. I`ve always used premium unleaded and an additive, have messed with the timing but it`s still there. Not a huge issue if you know how to ride it and are a little mindful of it. The other thing I feel is that, lets face it, any bevel drive is not going to go down in history for a rock solid bottom end so why load it up even further. Personally I`d go standard, or at least a slug with the same comp ratio and is the same weight.

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”