1982 MHR gearbox selection

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Trevor
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Trevor »

Hi All, I have just finished getting the bike back on the road and everything seems fine except the gear selection, first thing, there is a false neutral when going from 3rd to 4th, if you change carefully it seems ok: is this normal? and secondly I notice on the gear selector when in neutral that it has a lot of play when you move the lever up, about an inch: is this normal?
Thanks
Trevor
Durban, South Africa
1982 MHR,2007 BMW GS1200Adv, 2000 Yamaha WR 250
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

perhaps your gear change spring is broken.

I have them in stock in the ENGINES section of my web store
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Floppy gear selection

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Trevor,

Good chance Steve is right - sounds similar to my SSD, and the springs are known to fail.

Don't leave it - it will leave you stranded.

Ciao

Craig in UK/France
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

Hi Trev,
this may not be your problem but it`s well worth addressing while your in the area. Just the other day my 82 model 900SS stopped shifting up. The biked was parked up and returned home on the back of a vehicle. Problem was a countersunk cap screw thar secures a plate to the selector drum had come loose and was not allowing up-shifts. If you are in behind the clutch drum I would seriously suggest removing this screw and applying some non-permanent loctite. This SS has only 21000 kms on the clock and had the screw come out completely it would have been KA-boom and an ugly rear wheel lock up. Well worth the effort if your in this area.
Trevor
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Trevor »

Thanks Lumpy, will check it out this weekend, I think my parts ordered from Steve are at the Post Office.
These forums are great, it is like many years experience on a problem before you have even looked at the problem.
regards
Trevor
Durban, South Africa
1982 MHR,2007 BMW GS1200Adv, 2000 Yamaha WR 250

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”