Cleaning the motor

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
74-750SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Cleaning the motor

Post by 74-750SS »

I am rebuilding my GT and the motor doesn't need fixing, so there is no need to take it to bits. Therefore a choice of bead blasting is not on the curriculum. I have spent hours and hours with petrol, motor cleaning products etc and I just cannot remove all of the dirt from the casings, cylinder fins etc. I saw a TV program where they 'vapor cleaned' the motor. I thought that seemed to be a good idea but before I go out looking for the suitable hardware I wanted to enquire whether anyone out there has ever done that before. As much as I would love to bead blast the cases it just seems a waste of money seeing as there is nothing broke and as they say "if it aint' broke then don't fix it", but having the rest of the bike in a decent state the motor has to up its appearance.
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

hi ,i am in the process of stripping my engine for a full overhaul,i went
and enquired about vapor cleaning by a business that does it,the
results looked very good,they showed me a engine out of old yamaha that
was all alloy like a ducati,the cleaning can be done with the engine fully
assembled,but for the best results best fully stripped,to ask more
questions look up motographix on the web .I intend to try this process on my engine and will post before and after pictures.
regards Derek
74-750SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 74-750SS »

Thanks Derek. I will try with one of those household appartus which is used for cleaning tiles and stuff (one with a vapor jet). I hope that does the trick. Wouldn't know otherwise what tradesmen use that sort of industrial apparatus. Cheers, Guy
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

guy,i am not going to do this process myself,i feel that you will need to
find someone that is more setup for this job to get a good result
cheers derek
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi Derek
I was also looking at getting my engine vapor blasted by Dan, until I looking at the end result and how I wanted my engine to look.
As I'm restoring a SSD at the moment the question was do I or dont I get it Vapor bead blasted? In the end what made me go back to the std bead blasting was this, Dukes engine when they were new didnt look like they were made in Japan as this is the finish that the vapor blasting tends to give you, it is a far smoother, finer finish then the engine ever was and tends to have the appearance of being painted a light silver with paint , that look is not for me thanks....!

74-750SS
why dont you try Industrial Cleaners & Degreasers - Simple Green ??? before you try anything else you will be surprised at the end result

* • Non-hazardous
* • Engines and machinery; HVACR coils and cooling towers; earthmoving and drilling equipment; parts washers; pressure sprayers; dip tanks; floor scrubbers; workshops and factory floors; prepping surfaces prior to painting; trucks, coaches and vehicles; general plant cleaning; mining machinery and equipment
* • Industrial strength, concentrated
* • The safer alternative to hazardous chemicals and solvents
* • Biodegradable, non-toxic, non-flammable, non-abrasive, phosphate-free
* • Custom dilute with water to suit the task
* • Effective industrial cleaner/degreaser for removing oil, grease, diesel, carbon, soot, dirt, road grime, lubricants and cutting fluids from any washable surface, including stainless steel, aluminium, plastic, glass, rubber, painted surfaces, fabric, vinyl and carpet
darren nix
Diana

Post by darren nix »

high martin, have you used that product before, what was the end result, where did you get it. regards darren.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I also highly recommend SIMPLE GREEN. THis stuff really works. google search it to find it in QLD it is available in auto parts stores everywhere here in the states, and the grocery stores etc etc too.

clicky http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... ?p=450#450
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Hi Darren

I have not used it but have seen what it did to some very tired looking mag wheels on a mate vehicle , as my SSD engine is getting beaded at the moment I would think it be a while before I get to try it on the bike the only place that I have found in Aust. is Blackwoods
http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKP ... &P=2025662
darren nix
Diana

Post by darren nix »

thanks steve and martin
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

hi martin,at this moment i have just about fully stripped my engine and
nothing has been sent away,i will seek out the simple green and try it
on one of my casings first, then i will decide what way i will go,i agree that
vapour cleaning does give a very shiny look and it is personal choice of
what finished result we are all looking for,i would also be interested in
seeing the result of the bead blasting,if possible could you post a before and after picture.
if i get the simple green i will post some before and after pictures if it gives
good results
thanks derek
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Derek

When I get the engine back from Ron Young , why dont you come out (Wisemans Ferry) and have a look at the engine when I get it back you can also look at some aged bead blasted engine that was done 12 years ago
After I get the engine back the first thing that I do with them is, give them a good spray of amourall and let it soak so that the silicone seals the finish this way rinse of after every ride and it will look like new for year
desodero
Mariana

Post by desodero »

martin ,thanks for offer check your pm for my phone no
derek
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

I have found any of the automotive truck cleaners (I use a detergent called CT-80 from memory), with about 50-75ml of mineral turpentine in a 2 litre spray bottle the rest filled with hot water. Wet the engine first then spray the solution over the entire unit. A stiff long bristle brush and give a good rub-a-dub. Re-apply the solution as you go, DO NOT LET IT GO DRY AT ANY STAGE AS THIS WILL STAIN. Then let it stand for 15-20 minutes, re-applying as needed so the engine stays wet. Finally hose it off, pressure washers are good but great care is needed not to spray directly at seals, gland nuts, carbs or exhaust outlets. Even then don`t get the nozzle to close to gasket joints. When the motor is dry spray it down with WD40 and wipe off all the excess. The WD-40 gives the cases a darker apperance which some are not fond of, but living near the coast corrosion is an issue for me so I love the stuff. Once again don`t let it dry on the engine!!!!!!!!
74-750SS
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 74-750SS »

Interesting thread. Living in Italy I can't get and have never heard of products called Simple Green. I went to car accessory store and bought a bottle of special alloy wheel cleaner but until I have the GT on wheels again where I can push her out of the garage to be able to hose it off I can't comment. The household vapor thing was a complete waste of time.
Guy
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

http://www.simplegreen.com/ mail order it, you will not regret your expense.... CLick this http://globalpartners.simplegreen.com/ to find a distributor in your country [they say over 100 countries have stocking distributors].
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”