'82 Pantah Clutch

Post your general FAQs, comments & questions regarding all Ducati engine & transmission restoration here. [Specific engine FAQs should go in the 'BevelHeaven Garage' section.]
Bumbler
Mariana

'82 Pantah Clutch

Post by Bumbler »

Having trouble getting the clutch to work. The bike has sat for 10yrs or more but is currently going through a rebuild.

It has a new hand pump with new line and bleeder nipple. Ive bled more than 100mls through the system but can't get any pressure up.

I'm wondering if the piston in the clutch housing is stuck from not being used. I don't want to remove the clucth housing if there is something simpler I can try to fix this problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Bumbler.... '82 Pantah 600
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

pull the cover, it will take 5 mins. OK now very slowly squeeze the master cylinder lever. Anything moving? Didn't think so.

OK now remove the piston clean it up, clean up the bore, put a little bit of brake fluid in there [DOT 4 only of course]. Now try again...

Reinstall the cover and try to bleed the system again..... Progress?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Bumbler
Mariana

Post by Bumbler »

Cheers for the reply Steve,

Tried your suggestion. Nearly fired the bloody piston through my forehead removing it with compressed air....I'm a fool.

It did need a clean up...a neat 2mm ring of brown gunk circumscribed the piston and the chamber it sat in was full of the same.

Cleaned it up and put the whole thing back together but the system still won't develop pressure! Bled 4 resevoirs of fluid through the system, no more bubbles.

I'm begining to think the fella who restored the hand pumper may not have done it correctly...could this be the case? It was a fairly simple exercise to clean the piston up...surley I didn't stuff this up!

Should I bleed more fluid through the system or start at the top and begin pulling the hand pumper to pieces?
Bumbler
Mariana

Post by Bumbler »

Is it possible the clutch plates are stuck together?
Bumbler
Mariana

Post by Bumbler »

Sorted!! Pulled the whole system down. Blew it all out with compressed air. Pulled the side cover off and disassembled the clutch. The plates where all gummed up with dog doodie. Gave it a clean and re-assembled it and bled the system and she came uup a treat....I am a ham fisted half wit....But she works a treat now.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

sometimes that is all it takes - take apart, clean and re assemble... Old bikes are like that sometimes......... ;)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Engine & Transmission Shop”