Adding an Electric Start on a 860GT

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
swooshdave
Diana

Adding an Electric Start on a 860GT

Post by swooshdave »

I believe that an electric starter was an option on the 860GT. Was it a factory installed option? Dealer installed? Can you convert a non-electric start to an electric start?

I know the ignitions are probably different. Is there a list of parts that are needed?
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Re: Adding an Electric Start on a 860GT

Post by abmartin »

You could add an electric start although there is a fairly lengthy list of parts that would be needed. The 860GT parts book gives all the details. As a caution, the electric start fitted to these bikes worked about as well as the one fitted to Nortons. It wouldn't crank the motor quickly enough to start it reliably, especially with a cold engine. A foot assist was usually required. Darmahs were better - perhaps they had a better system although beware the sprag clutch. It seems they are easily destroyed.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

swooshdave wrote:I believe that an electric starter was an option on the 860GT. Was it a factory installed option? Dealer installed? Can you convert a non-electric start to an electric start?
Electric starter was a factory fitment, Dave. As Bruce says, one could be retro-fitted; but I can only see it as being a fair amount of work and bits. And, speaking as a former owner, I'm not sure it will bring a lot of extra joy into your life ... ;)

Ciao

Craig
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sgr »

Hello group.

I have a 1975 elec start and would like to convert to kick only. Please let me know is anyone has a clutch cover for sale.

Cheers,
S
[email protected]

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”