Parts recommendations

If you need technical information or help with your early crossover gearchange squarecase Ducati 860/900 engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Parts recommendations

Post by animosity »

Greetings all,

I have today acquired a '75 Ducati 860GT! As this is my first Duc, i need a couple of recommendations for some parts I need to get her running - namely, some air filters and a battery (preferably from an Australian source). I'm looking at K&N style pod air filters - can anyone give me some suggestions for specific part numbers that are suitable? The carbs are 32mm. I'm also in need of a new battery, can anyone suggest a suitable item? The bike is kick start only.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
rwhc80
750 GT

Re: Parts recommendations

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day animosity,

welcome to the world of bevel ownership !

There are a number of places that could supply the bits your after which could include Steve on this site. However, if your preference is to buy locally, Gowanlocks in NSW, or italspares even Road & Race. But it would help to know what state you're in ???

Re : the K & N Filters, there is so many different shapes and lengths, it's a little hard to give a specific part number.
You will need to decide whether you want Oval, tapered short, tapered long ? and so on. My suggestion would be to look at the K & N website, http://knfilters.com.au/ then check the width on the carb bellmouth to match.

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by animosity »

Thanks rwhc80!

I'm in the ACT and will have a squiz at the businesses you've mentioned. I had a quick look at the K&N website but was initially wondering if there was a particular filter that bevel owners generally use. From your response, I gather that these motors are not overly temperamental and don't require specific filters made of unobtainium,etc! If this is the case, I'll go through the offerings and choose something that looks fetching.

Thanks again for your response mate.

Cheers.
jaffa
Mariana

Post by jaffa »

animosity wrote:Thanks rwhc80!

I'm in the ACT and will have a squiz at the businesses you've mentioned. I had a quick look at the K&N website but was initially wondering if there was a particular filter that bevel owners generally use. From your response, I gather that these motors are not overly temperamental and don't require specific filters made of unobtainium,etc! If this is the case, I'll go through the offerings and choose something that looks fetching.

Thanks again for your response mate.

Cheers.
Gday there,

I am in the ACT too and there a number of parts and servicing sources you can contact that arent too far away from here.

Ian Gowanloch is over in Adelong and is the God of Bevel here in Oz (matter of opinion).
Grant Fuller is also over that way and has recently done some work on my MHR that has got her running very well.
As mentioned by Rick, Gowenloch's in Sydney, Road & Race, etc are bristling with information and parts.

Drop me a line and we can disuss local issues if you wish.

Good luck
Jaffa
Volvo Aware Motorcyclist

'78 Darmah
'92 907ie
'82 900 MHR
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by animosity »

Bevelist's, I've been a bit slack in posting my reply, but here it is.

I managed to get a hold of a set of filters from the great people at Gowanlochs as well as a nice new Deka battery. After a few carb issues I've now got her running but have a couple of oil leaks to take care of - the main one in the horizontal cylinder is the next concern. I've gathered up all of the info I can find here and will be looking into the exhaust valve seal first before delving into the piston and rings.

Out of interest Jaffa, where would you recommend I take her to once everything is running for a good and proper tune? I've got her idling ok back it's not spot on and the forward pot is running a bit cold...

Cheers.
jaffa
Mariana

Post by jaffa »

animosity wrote:Bevelist's, I've been a bit slack in posting my reply, but here it is.

I managed to get a hold of a set of filters from the great people at Gowanlochs as well as a nice new Deka battery. After a few carb issues I've now got her running but have a couple of oil leaks to take care of - the main one in the horizontal cylinder is the next concern. I've gathered up all of the info I can find here and will be looking into the exhaust valve seal first before delving into the piston and rings.

Out of interest Jaffa, where would you recommend I take her to once everything is running for a good and proper tune? I've got her idling ok back it's not spot on and the forward pot is running a bit cold...

Cheers.
I'll drop you a PM with my contact details, but the two I mentioned in my earlier post are the best options locally....although out at Adelong.

Cheers.
Jaffa
Volvo Aware Motorcyclist

'78 Darmah
'92 907ie
'82 900 MHR
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

G'day Animosity,
Check the info here in the carb section done by Steve about how to tune the Dels. You need a good set of gauges and need to set the synch between front and rear carbs before even thinking of playing with the idle speed and mixtures. Get that right first and the rest is a breeze.
I have a set of digital vacuum gauges I got years ago from Stein Dinse here in Oz and have never regretted it. Makes the tuning so easy. I still tune by ear when I no option (like at a rally last weekend) and can get it very close but for long term enjoyment, use a good set of gauges and get the synch right. Make sure you run the bike for a few kms first to properly warm her up before doing the tuning (very important with bevel engines).
Regards,
RAD
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

You need a good set of gauges and need to set the synch between front and rear carbs before even thinking of playing with the idle speed and mixtures. Get that right first and the rest is a breeze.
With all due respect, I'd have to disagree with the above. I don't understand why you would attempt to synch the two carbs before setting idle and mixture. That's the wrong way round to my mind. The mixture settings are independant of any cylinder interaction, as are the idle (although you need to set idle together for an even tickover) and it is not possible to begin to synchronise your carbs before setting the base line for throttle progression (idle). The process should be: mixture (single cylinder), idle (both cylinders), synch (both cylinders).

Kev
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

I agree - did this last week (I use Morgan Carbtune) and can now idle at a whisker over 1000 RPM. Balance mixture holding at 2500 RPM, follow Steve's instructions at top of page, and off you go.

Incidentally, I also checked my timing, using the 'adapted spark plug method' to get TDC - MUCH more accurate than a dial guage, if a bit fiddly. Engine's running really smoothly now - I think I wa a tad over advanced - get a nice crisp image in my bar-end mirror.

If only the bloody rain would clear off.......... :(

Hugh

Return to “Squarecase Early 860/900 Crossover Gearchange Engines > 860/900 GT”